Welcome to Violinist.com! Log in, or join the community!
Violinist.com
Facebook Twitter Google+ Email Newsletter

Referral to a luthier in NYC?

Instruments: I need recommendations for luthiers in New York.

From Terry King
Posted May 3, 2005 at 05:37 AM

I'd appreciate people's recommendations of violin shops in New York City. I used to take my violin to Jim McKean, but he's become very hard to get hold of -- I think he spends most of his time out of the city. The problem in New York is that there are too many shops. I need someone who is a good luthier for setup, maintenance, and an appraisal. I want to find someone broad-minded -- I don't want to have to deal with "attitude" because I play primarily jazz and have my violin strung with metal strings. I'm sure there's someone around who fits this description. Recommendations, anyone? Thanks for any info.

From Michael Darnton
Posted on May 3, 2005 at 12:44 PM
I don't know about recently, but in the past Adam Crane, of Fine Violins of New York on W 75th, has worked on instruments for jazz players and installed bridge pickups for electrified violinists, so he should be friendly to you. His shop's phone number is 212-595-3388.
From Peter Ferreira
Posted on May 4, 2005 at 12:54 AM
I go to MOREL & GRADOUX-MATT, INC. and recomend them!

Hereis the info:

Morel & Gradoux-Matt Inc.
250 West 54th Street, New York, NY 10019 - Phone: (212) 582-8896 Fax: (212) 582-7432
Business Hours: Monday-Friday , 9:00 A.M. - 5:30 P.M. , Appts. preferred

They work on my violin and some of their other clients include Perlman, Bell and many others. You take it from there...

Regards,

PF

From Scott Taylor
Posted on May 4, 2005 at 01:14 AM
Gregory Singer Fine Violins on 71st street in Manhattan. They are a superb shop. The best.
From Terry King
Posted on May 4, 2005 at 01:48 AM
Thanks to all three of you (Michael, Peter, Scott) for the recommendations.
From Bill Townsend
Posted on May 29, 2005 at 04:27 AM
I had Kenichi Matano, 212 W. 71st St., Suite 2A New York, NY 10023 (212) 724-4476, repair a bad crack on a violin and new bridge. He did a superb job. Very reasonable too.

Bill

From Fernando Flores
Posted on May 30, 2005 at 06:37 PM
I definately recommend Gregory Singer violins.
I also believe that Kenichi Matano works along with Gregory Singer if im not mistaken.
From Annie P.
Posted on May 30, 2005 at 07:57 PM
i just fixed my violin from Rene Morel, and my violin started sounding (almost) like a strad!
From Michael Avagliano
Posted on May 31, 2005 at 01:04 AM
Kenichi has moved uptown -- I can give you his address tomorrow when I get back to the shop.

I would also highly recommend him. He's an excellent restorer, fast and reasonable.

From Terry King
Posted on May 31, 2005 at 05:57 PM
Michael,

Thanks for the recommendation. I'd appreciate getting his new address and phone number.

Ilya Gringolts

Contest: Paganini Caprices

Enter to win Ilya Gringolts' recording of the 24 Caprices by Paganini.