Violin from fiddlershop

Edited: September 4, 2019, 6:44 AM · I’m looking to purchase a good quality violin from fiddlershop https://fiddlershop.com/collections/violins
My budget is around $2000. However, not sure if it is risky buying a violin online or if I should go to a shop. I think fiddershop violins are made in china? Has anyone purchased a violin from them and are they good?

Can anyone suggest where I can purchase a good quality violin online?

Replies (18)

September 4, 2019, 7:23 AM · It should always be recommended that you go out and try a new instrument before buying
Edited: September 4, 2019, 7:25 AM · As far as purchasing instruments online goes, they offer the best service and their instruments are actually setup nicely. They are very nice people and care about their customers. I have visited their shop in Pompeno Beach, Florida and were very welcoming! As you get into higher price ranges, I do recommend at least giving your local violin shops (not music stores) an opportunity to work with you. I wrote a nice article on shopping for instruments here: https://adbowsllc.com/2017/02/19/shopping-for-an-instrument-part-1-of-2/
September 4, 2019, 8:22 AM · At $2,000, I wouldn't buy online. You should definitely try out the instruments in person, and try a lot of them. Most violin shops have tons of inventory in this price range.
September 4, 2019, 9:23 AM · i spoke to fiddlershop a number of time, every instrument besides consignment is chinese. they have really good trial period but for 2k i think you can do better than fiddlershop.
September 4, 2019, 9:34 AM ·
September 4, 2019, 9:42 AM · My son and I both bought violins from my local shop which happens to be Fiddlershop. These purchases were made at different times and, more recently yet, I've done a cello trade-in with them. So I think being a repeat customer speaks for itself.

My suggestion would be to get yourself as much of an education as your time and location allow by trying instruments in your price range... and then compare what you've found to one or more Fiddlershop instruments via their "in-home trial" option. I also suggest you speak personally with Pierre, Michael O'Gieblyn or Clare and ask one of them to try several of the model(s) you're interested in and suggest the one that best fits your criteria. In my experience, they will actually take the time and do that for you!

September 4, 2019, 12:25 PM · Online is always an option, but with the money you’re thinking of spending I would absolutely advise that you go and try out different instruments in local shops and not over the internet.

However, Fiddlershop do put out videos showing their different instruments for their prospective customers for them to choose the one they like the most. Have a look at their YouTube channel.

I would still try out in person though. Only you can be the judge of what you’d like the most.

September 4, 2019, 3:11 PM · i'm surprised that for a industry focusing on sound, people use youtube compressed audio for showcase and not flac uncompressed format for audio upload.
September 4, 2019, 4:39 PM · I’m thinking of of buying the Fiddlerman soloist violin https://fiddlershop.com/products/fiddlerman-soloist-violin-outfit
September 4, 2019, 5:23 PM · I recently trialed 6 violins from Fiddlershop (2 trials of 3 instruments each). I ended up buying a consignment violin that was previously owned by a professional violinist in the Miami area.

I tried a couple of Ming Jiang and some of the Holstein (Fiddlershop) bench violins. All of the instruments sounded good and came perfectly setup and well protected for shipping. To me most of the better Chinese violins sounded a bit too mellow, the instrument I bought (by William Fleischer) had a unique quality that appealed to me.

If you live where there are nearby luthiers, I suggest you deal with them. You might need their help in the future, so they deserve your support :)

September 4, 2019, 6:28 PM · I recently bought from Fiddlershop, and believe that they have the finest customer service I have ever experienced. If you're not happy with a purchase they will do their best to make sure you get what you want.
At the price you're shopping, I believe they have a program by which you can trial more than one violin. I believe Shar does something similar.
September 5, 2019, 12:55 PM · I wouldn't spend that much money without a trial. I don't know about Fiddlershop but most of the online violin shops will do trials -- they ship you the violin, and you ship it back or keep it and pay.
September 7, 2019, 2:27 PM · I like Fiddlershop, I can vouch for its excellent customer service. I still wouldn't buy anything without testing it. I would ask them for an in home trial, I'm sure they offer 2 week trial on most of their "affordable" instruments.

See https://fiddlershop.com/pages/in-home-trial-terms

September 8, 2019, 9:16 AM · I got evaluation instruments from Fiddlershop, Shar and SW Strings. For the money, Shar was better. I think the "house brand" instruments for all of them are way overpriced for what you get. Until you start getting up into the known brands like Ming Jiang Zhu, where prices can be compared between sellers, I think you're at their mercy. Fiddlershop has a 66% trade-in value policy. Shar just charges $200 for refurbishment. Try to find a well-stocked local shop (a violin shop, not a music store) and try there first.
September 10, 2019, 8:35 PM · You might want to try ViolinShack too. Michael is great! He let me have a trial of the Vitale, which is below your budget, but I absolutely loved it. It's made well, came packed very nicely, and is set up well. All I needed to do was get the sound post moved ever so slightly (probably from being bumped around during shipment).

I agree with the house brand instruments being waaaay overpriced. The school I work at has a Franz Hoffman (used by the teacher I replaced), and I don't think it's worth what they ask for. It's alright, but eh.

Definitely visit your local violin shops and see what they've got.

Congrats on your upgrade, and good luck on the search!

P.S. has anyone tried the Fiddlerman CF bow? I'm tempted to try it bc I want a CF for teaching but it hurts my wallet to think about a Coda.

Edited: September 10, 2019, 10:48 PM · The implication from another thread is that the poster is in or near Sydney, which to me would make US suppliers impractical.
I bought my Yamaha electric from Ozstrings in melbourne, but I got it for the same price as they had it advertised online, which was cheaper than I could find it anywhere else. They also have a shop in Brisbane
Simply for strings is a Sydney shop with a good website, and they have video clips of an assortment of instruments .
Edited: October 2, 2019, 9:50 AM · Bob Brothers: so you're the one who wound up with that Fleischer violin. Congratulations; nice score. :)

I have a 16" viola by Fleischer, likewise purchased used. It punches well above its weight; one neighbor thought it was a cello until he saw it.

I've thought about rolling the dice on one of the lower-end Fiddlershop models as a road/beach/camp/loaner fiddle. Maybe at some point I will.

October 2, 2019, 9:52 AM · Jack L, Yes, that's the one I got. I really thought it had a lot of character compared to the others I tried.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Leila Josefowicz and the Los Angeles Philharmonic
Leila Josefowicz and the Los Angeles Philharmonic

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition
Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Potter Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Violin Lab

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe