2 Contrasting Selections?

December 23, 2017, 5:12 PM · Hi all,

I've been speaking with my private instructor regarding an upcoming solo festival in June. We've come up with 3 options for 2 contrasting selections that she believes will be achievable by me before mid-June. After being given the three options, I've to make a decision based on which selections I feel are a good contrast to each other in terms of sound and expression. Any suggestions for which choice seems the most unique/appealing? Thanks!

Choice 1: Mozart G Violin Concerto (1st or 3rd mvt) and Tchaikovsky Canzonetta for Violin

Choice 2: Deberiot violin concerto 9 (movement 1 or 3) and Chopin Nocturne 21 in C Sharp Minor

Choice 3: Any two movements from Bach sonatas or partitas (minus Ciaconna)

Replies (7)

December 23, 2017, 5:35 PM · I think all three choices are good in terms of contrast because of stylistic and emotional differences.
December 23, 2017, 6:30 PM · Thank you! I think so as well. I feel like if I could figure out some contrasting solo Bach, the third choice could be more achievable.
December 23, 2017, 7:26 PM · You should pick two Bach movements of different tempos/characters if that's what you're heading for. Do you have favourite piece(s) within your selections?
December 23, 2017, 9:13 PM · I actually don't as of now.. I'm trying to do some research and find out some good selections.
December 24, 2017, 5:58 AM · Based on your teacher's other suggestions, I think the Allemand and Gigue from the d minor partita would be easily achievable; the Preludio and Gavotte en Rondeau from the E major partita harder but likely within your grasp. Any Adagio/Fugue combination from one of the Sonatas is very much more difficult than your teacher's other suggestions and most likely beyond you right now.
December 24, 2017, 8:06 AM · Thank you! I'll look into these movements!
December 24, 2017, 11:05 PM · The C Major Fugue is a beast, arguable harder than the Ciaconna. Usually you’d do most of the D minor and the whole E major before doing any of the fugues. Much better to have a solid foundation on Bach before moving into the fugues. But, the good news is if you’re ready for them you could probably rip through both I mentioned above in about a year or so.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings