Tchaikovsky vs. Prokofiev: Romeo and Juliet

December 14, 2017, 1:11 PM · Hi everyone,

There seems to be this great debate on Prokofiev vs Tchaik's Romeo and Juliet. What's your opinion? Just curious.

Replies (6)

December 14, 2017, 1:58 PM · I haven't heard the debate. Could you summarize? I prefer Prokofiev, mostly because I find his music more interesting. There's also a lot more of it, though––Prokofiev had an entire ballet in which to expound on various themes––so it may not be a fair comparison.
December 14, 2017, 5:19 PM · What debate? They're completely different works. The Tchaikovsky R & J is a stand-alone piece, not terribly long. The Prokofiev is music for a ballet, and even the suites extracted from the ballet are multi-movement.
December 15, 2017, 5:30 PM · Dunno whether it helps, but John Barry used the Tchaik for the Jaws-and-Dolly love scene in Moonraker.
December 19, 2017, 2:54 PM · That bit of the Tchaik has become one of the more recognizable musical clichés. On the other hand, Saturday Night Live did use pieces of the Prokofiev in their skit Bad Ballet...
December 19, 2017, 7:43 PM · Charlie, the final bit of that bit is what has become one of the more recognizable musical clichés, not the whole of that bit.
December 20, 2017, 11:37 AM · The Prokofiev Romeo and Juliet is one of my favorite pieces ever for orchestra. That said, I love Tchaikovsky, so....why compete when you can easily have both? :)

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings