Where is the center?

December 5, 2022, 2:31 PM · How can I accurately determine the center of an instrument? (It's a violin)
Is there a video/description of this?

Thanks!

Replies (16)

Edited: December 5, 2022, 3:57 PM · Huh?????? It might help if you would explain why you seek to ascertain where the "center" of your violin is. Your question is quite puzzling without some context.
December 5, 2022, 7:00 PM · You can determine the center line by finding the midpoint in a line drawn between the widest parts of the upper and lower bouts. Once you have the midpoints of the bouts, you can extend a line between them. Also, you can measure the geometric middle of the violin relatively easily, then find the center point on the bridge line from the inner blacks of the purfling.
Edited: December 5, 2022, 9:28 PM · The center of a violin is not as easy to find as it seems. You should draw lines from nut to saddle, and between the centres of the bouts, and between the fs... and if they don't line up then you have to make some judgement about how to adjust.
December 5, 2022, 10:09 PM · Center of length?
of width?
of mass?
of area?
area of what?
December 5, 2022, 10:53 PM · The most important center would probably be of the vibrating length of the strings. To find it, just listen for the octave of the open string.
December 6, 2022, 3:03 AM · the only centre that really matter is the one that lines up the left foot of the bridge over the bass bar, then the soundpost can be fit under the right foot, so usually the centre between the eyes of the f holes
December 6, 2022, 7:52 AM · @Andrew - my point exactly!
December 6, 2022, 12:27 PM · The center of your instrument is in your heart of hearts.
Edited: January 4, 2023, 1:14 PM ·
What's your purpose in knowing the "center"? If we knew that, perhaps we could better advise.

"Always travel with a porpoise, said the fish." (Alice & Wonderland)

January 4, 2023, 1:42 PM · There is only a centre of gravity. I suggest you not make the effort to search for this. The result may have disastrous consequences for your violin. Ha ha!
Edited: January 4, 2023, 2:14 PM · Or, to summarise everyone as briefly as possible, What is the centre of an instrument?
January 4, 2023, 2:17 PM · my current obsessions are with finding the center of truth, and secondly, the center of the universe.

Compared to these, in what way is the "center" of a violin important? LOL

January 4, 2023, 2:25 PM · Just put your nose up to the f-hole and inhale slowly.

Oops, that's the scenter...

LOL, now I have to try that...

January 4, 2023, 2:49 PM · Which f-hole?

And can one learn more from sniffing F-holes, than by sniffing bicycle seats?

January 5, 2023, 2:04 AM · "And can one learn more from sniffing F-holes, than by sniffing bicycle seats?"

I don't know, I've never sniffed an f-hole.

Edited: January 5, 2023, 3:15 AM · However, we are being rude to Kristof.

Suspecting that "das Zentrum" might be a German terminus technicus I discovered this on a German trumpet forum: -

"Das Zentrum eines Instruments ist der ort wo der Ton am wenigsten kraft erfordert"

It doesn't say much more than I already felt in my water, that the "centre" of an instrument is the place where the tone demands least effort. In the case of the violin it of course requires experience, practice, ftf lessons and using ones ears.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music: Protect your instrument this winter

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

JR Judd Violins
JR Judd Violins

Starling-DeLay Symposium
Starling-DeLay Symposium

Los Angeles Philharmonic
LA Phil

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Shopping Guide
Violinist.com Shopping Guide

ARIA International Summer Academy

Study with the Elizabeth Faidley Studio

Metzler Violin Shop

Southwest Strings

Bobelock Cases

Johnson String Instrument/Carriage House Violins

Jargar Strings

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

FiddlerShop

Fiddlerman.com

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Baerenreiter

String Masters

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe