Favourite Mendelssohn E-minor recording?

November 24, 2022, 8:29 AM · Hey all! I'm reading the mendelssohn concerto right now, and wondered what recordings you liked!

For me, Milstein is pretty unbeatable, but I also like Hadelich, Hahn and Heifetz, so more on the leaner and lighter side of things

Replies (17)

November 24, 2022, 9:19 AM · I'm quite biased to Chloe Chua, so I'm going to say hers. I really like her way of playing, plus I'm going to attend one of her concerts soon!

Ray Chen and Hillary Hahn's recordings are also quite nice.

November 24, 2022, 9:44 AM · I am not a great fan of the Mendelsohn, but I have Takako Nishizaki on Naxos which is a good one.
November 24, 2022, 10:54 AM · I grew up listening to the Heifetz recording. It's amazing. But Milstein's Mendelssohn is my favorite. I never get tired of listening to it. For me, Milstein faithfully and authentically captures the spirit of the work. Among the new generation, I love Augustin Hadelich and Chad Hoopes. You can watch them on YouTube
November 24, 2022, 12:03 PM · Zino Francescatti
November 24, 2022, 12:44 PM · Grumiaux - a model of elegance.
November 24, 2022, 12:53 PM · Ysaye is not to be missed for the last movement.
November 24, 2022, 1:36 PM · I really like Szeryng's recording with Dorati, and Kreisler's (I forget with whom) is a really lyrical treat.

For living musicians, ASM's is super polished, Julia Fischer is great and very much in the Szeryng vein. I'm going to keep stanning for this guy, Donghyun Kim, to the possible annoyance of anyone that might pay attention to my posting tendencies - I can just tell from the opening that it's going to be great.

I also heard Simone Porter live not too long ago, playing a rendition on the very lyrical (correct) side, so if she's touring around, I recommend checking it out.

November 24, 2022, 5:57 PM · Greetings,
Milstein, Francescatti. Grumiaux,Hadelich.
I like the Milstein story about him being taken to task for his choice of unorthodox bowing in the opening. (Wonder who dared to do that…) He responded ‘It’s just that I know a lot more about violin playing than Mendelssohn.’
Cheers,
Buri
November 25, 2022, 1:49 AM · I shall check out the Francescatti and Grumiaux. I think I very much admire Milstein's straight-to-the-point, no-fuss approach without inundating the piece with too many details and stylisms. Very aristocratic!
November 25, 2022, 1:56 AM · The lyrical interpretations are great too! I have yet to hear the Szeryng, but I'm sure it is delightful.
November 25, 2022, 2:07 AM · Menuhin in Holliwood
November 25, 2022, 9:02 AM · Newer recording, Augustin Dumay with the Orpheus Chamber Orchestra. Masterful playing!
November 25, 2022, 4:52 PM · Yehudi Menuhin with Wilhelm Furtwangler and the Berlin Phil
November 25, 2022, 7:42 PM · I really like Alina Ibragimova's recording, done on gut strings... it has a fantastic lightness and vivaciousness#.
November 25, 2022, 8:51 PM · @ Katherine
Alina's rendition is superb!
Edited: November 29, 2022, 12:57 AM ·
For me, it's an Isaac Stern recording from the '60's. He showed his deep respect for the concerto by how he played the beginning. Quite something.

Recorded more recently, I enjoyed a performance of the Mendelssohn by Ray Chen on YouTube.

November 29, 2022, 7:16 AM · Another vote for Grumiaux.
Or for a more romantic approach, Zukerman.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

JR Judd Violins
JR Judd Violins

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

2023 Authenticate LA: Los Angeles Violin Shop
2023 Authenticate LA

Violinist.com Shopping Guide
Violinist.com Shopping Guide

Stringtelligence

Metzler Violin Shop

Southwest Strings

Bobelock Cases

Johnson String Instrument/Carriage House Violins

Jargar Strings

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

FiddlerShop

Fiddlerman.com

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Baerenreiter

String Masters

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe