How do you keep rosin in the violin case?

November 23, 2022, 3:42 PM · I currently have a Pirastro's goldflex rosin, and it comes with a small box and then the rosin. I always put the rosin back into the box after using it, but I have seen others simply placing the rosin into the violin case itself and discarding the box. So how do you usually store your rosin?

Replies (15)

November 23, 2022, 5:09 PM · I use Jade which comes in a small plastic "barrel" and the rosin itself is on a cloth as most are. I keep it in the plastic container, mostly so that the rosin dust doesn't get into the pouch (BAM case). Bernadel has a small cloth "envelope" that seems to work well, also. If your Pirastro rosin outer box is small enough to fit easily in one of the case compartments, and you don't mind opening it each time to use it, I'd do that.
November 23, 2022, 5:17 PM · I have always kept my rosins that were attached to cloth simply covered in their cloth. With those that had closable "boxes" of any shape I kept them in those (unless I had chosen to glue them to o cloth wrap of their own (usually only if the container was too large).

By the way, Pirastro Goldflex was the only rosin I have ever been allergic to - it irritated my eyes when used for violin and viola playing (not for cello) - so I have not tried it again for 20 years.

November 24, 2022, 1:07 AM · The quickest way to permanently ruin the lining of your case is to leave a cake of rosin free to roam around, and doubly so if it is no longer in one piece.

I strongly suggest keeping the rosin in a bag that won't open by itself, and to discard any rosin that is in pieces.

Edited: November 24, 2022, 2:33 AM · Same as Andrew Victor:- Hill - it's glued to the cloth it's wrapped in. I keep my Guillaume in its cloth in its tin. I've had Hidersine in cardboard boxes. These can be cut down to make them slimmer to go in violin cases.
November 24, 2022, 7:20 AM · I use Bernardel, which, as Karl points out, comes with its own cloth envelope. This works well, and it fits in the compartment within the case where I keep other miscellaneous small things for my instruments. I would not want to leave the rosin wrapped in only the cloth to which it is attached floating around the case.
November 24, 2022, 8:28 AM · My case compartments are so cramed with stuff that there is no way my rosin could get loose and move around.

If I have extra room I just add a cake of a different rosin.

Edited: November 24, 2022, 8:31 AM · Andrew Victor, I remember seeing a post that you had posted in 2014 saying that Pirastro's gold rosin had irritated your eyes, instead of goldflex. Did you mix up the gold and goldflex rosin? I was debating on whether I should try out Pirastro's gold rosin, maybe I should look into it more.

Tom: I was planning on buying Bernardel rosin and I think I'll do just that, having a pouch for keeping your rosin in is really useful.

Edited: November 25, 2022, 9:37 AM · My Bobelock cases all have a little gap of about 1" between the main compartment for the violin and the hinged compartments for other stuff. My Bernardel rosin fits right in there. I know people who religiously keep the outer packaging of their rosin (the little box, or the little velour envelope in the case of Bernardel) but I can't be bothered, as it just takes up more space. I often wondered what would happen if one of these companies that sell really expensive rosin were to package it inside a Matryoshka doll.

Dimitri wrote, "I strongly suggest ... to discard any rosin that is in pieces." Cracked rosins, thin rosins, discarded rosins -- these can all be kept and melted together to form a new cake. Of course rosin is pretty cheap so it's a "labor of love" to do that.

By the way, out of the blue, I received a nice note to my university email from Steve Bobelock because of some comments I had made on this forum.

Edited: November 26, 2022, 1:36 AM ·
My newest favorite rosin is Kaplan Light. I have a round metal container from a previous favorite rosin, and the Kaplan rosin fits perfectly into that ccontainer. So, my rosin is stored enclosed in my violin case's storage compartment.

The Kaplan rosin itself is glued onto a square piece of soft cloth, and it comes with a red sack for storage.

As an aside, Kaplan makes two rosins, Dark and Light. The former is a conventional rosin, whereas Light gives a bow greater grab. It sheds very little dust, and it gives my violin the most solid (least fuzzy) sound of any rosin that I've tried. Being inexpensive at $10, I wondered if I shouldn't be using something different. But I'm told by my luthier that Sergie Luca, who owned a Stradivari, really like Kaplan Dark for his bow.

November 25, 2022, 12:25 PM · "How do you keep rosin in the violin case?"

Try shuttting the case?

November 25, 2022, 12:43 PM · wen xi koh - it was definitely "Goldflex."
November 26, 2022, 2:51 PM · As soon as I buy a new one I take it to "Smooth-Yet-Grippy" rosin behaviour school. Not only do they teach it to sit and stay in your case, they learn to do useful tricks like 'fetch the mute', 'loosen the bow' and for the smartest rosin, 'wipe the dust'. Your pedigree $$$$ rosin, like say Baker's, can even be trained to enter National Competitions - but you have to be very careful how you wipe it so that it never looses its proportions and gleam.
November 26, 2022, 3:00 PM · I keep mine in its lttle plastic tub, mainly because I thought rosin was affected by humidity, but it sèems I am wrong on that score.

November 26, 2022, 3:03 PM · @Neil Poulson, Neil is the kaplan better than jade for allergy sufferers, I use jade but fancy a change.
December 2, 2022, 4:21 AM · I'm unimaginative - I always keep it in the case it came in, unless it's fallen to pieces and can't be used any more, in which case i don't keep it.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

JR Judd Violins
JR Judd Violins

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

2023 Authenticate LA: Los Angeles Violin Shop
2023 Authenticate LA

Violinist.com Shopping Guide
Violinist.com Shopping Guide

Stringtelligence

Metzler Violin Shop

Southwest Strings

Bobelock Cases

Johnson String Instrument/Carriage House Violins

Jargar Strings

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

FiddlerShop

Fiddlerman.com

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Baerenreiter

String Masters

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe