Optima Goldbrokat PREMIUM E (green box)

Edited: November 20, 2022, 12:51 PM · Looks like Lenzner has a premium line of e strings, in green envelopes. Has anyone compared to the standard, or found differences between one coating and the next? StringZone carries steel, brass, and gold.

Replies (5)

November 20, 2022, 4:28 PM · I've tried them and they all sound like wire. The coated E strings are rubbish cause the coating wears off pretty fast.
November 20, 2022, 5:08 PM · I just stuck with their regular original plain steel E. Less than $2 a string and works in nearly all situations!
November 20, 2022, 5:09 PM · I like them, specifically the gold, which I generally use on one of my instruments. I find then similar to the regular goldbrokat e (which I also like) but a bit warmer, and maybe a bit lower tension.
November 20, 2022, 7:41 PM · I have tried all four versions, steel, premium, brass-, and gold-plated. It is probably the cheapest gold string, for those that prefer that. The gold wears off quickly from the first half of the string, but that also happened with a more expensive gold- string. The brass-plated version seems like a good compromise. the regular steel is probably the cheapest quality E-string. My pseudo-scientific suspicion is that the sound and response depends a lot on the electrochemical adhesion of the rosin to the metal. Maybe plain carbon steel is best? -- It just corrodes quickly. The violin is a wooden box that amplifies the signal that it gets from the bridge. It doesn't care what the string is made out of.
November 21, 2022, 2:08 AM · What's the difference between the premium steel E string and the regular steel string besides about 70 cents? I've always wondered about that.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

JR Judd Violins
JR Judd Violins

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

2023 Authenticate LA: Los Angeles Violin Shop
2023 Authenticate LA

Violinist.com Shopping Guide
Violinist.com Shopping Guide

Stringtelligence

Metzler Violin Shop

Southwest Strings

Bobelock Cases

Johnson String Instrument/Carriage House Violins

Jargar Strings

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

FiddlerShop

Fiddlerman.com

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Baerenreiter

String Masters

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe