Tricolore

Edited: November 13, 2022, 12:48 PM · Prompted by recommendations on this forum I recently ordered a set of Ticolore strings when I again found myself retuning my Eudoxa A every five minutes.

I am truly grateful to the folks who recommended Tricolores here. Their marketing appears to be a little clumsy and I would never have found them without your help.

After less than 2 weeks I could practice for an hour with very little tuning trouble. And even on the following day they require only minor adjustments.

To be honest there is a price: the two unwound middle strings tend to whistle. I need to put my fingers down firmly on them the way I learned decades ago. Plus if a finger working on a neighboring string touches them ever so slightly you will hear that. However, in the only four weeks I have been playing them I have gotten this almost entirely under control.

I like their sound; I would call it a little more extravert than Eudoxa's; I also suspect they project somewhat stronger.

Replies (2)

November 13, 2022, 1:58 PM · I also have been converted to gut strings based on the recommendations of the experts here on V.com. If your not loving the Tricolore plain gut D you may want to try their aluminum wound D or Academie gimped D-string. They are both quite nice sounding and easier to play.
November 13, 2022, 2:44 PM · Aluminum or silver-wound on the D. And the wound A is really beautiful as well.

Another option: try light-gauge instead of the usual medium. Sometimes that works miracles.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

JR Judd Violins
JR Judd Violins

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

2023 Authenticate LA: Los Angeles Violin Shop
2023 Authenticate LA

Violinist.com Shopping Guide
Violinist.com Shopping Guide

Stringtelligence

Metzler Violin Shop

Southwest Strings

Bobelock Cases

Johnson String Instrument/Carriage House Violins

Jargar Strings

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

FiddlerShop

Fiddlerman.com

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Baerenreiter

String Masters

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe