Beginner duos

November 11, 2022, 10:40 AM · Hey guys,
Do any of you happen to know of any duets for 2 violins that are ridiculously easy? I know some of the earlier Bartók ones are easier, but they are a bit difficult for what I am thinking of.

These are for like nearly complete beginners.

Thanks in advance.

Replies (17)

November 11, 2022, 11:16 AM · Jake, I don't know whether this is still in print, and I wouldn't suggest a violinist buy it, but perhaps a music library might help you. It's a series called 'The Recorder Consort' collected by Steve Rosenburg (Boosey & Hawkes). There are five books, and each one has a section of duos. Some are medieval/renaissance but most are by minor French composers, for aristocrats to play on the flute. Well within easy sight-reading, pleasantly harmonious, easy keys!
November 11, 2022, 11:31 AM · Ignaz Pleyel wrote two sets of six violin duets. The ones catalogued as B.538-543 are easier by far. They are available on IMSLP. They are probably Suzuki Book 2 in difficulty (no shifting, easy keys, etc.), so not strictly pure-beginner material. I played all of these with my childhood violin teacher.

Aside from that, there are probably duet arrangements galore, of pop tunes and the like -- think Hal Leonard and similar publishers.

November 11, 2022, 11:35 AM · My daughter says these are probably the easiest she has seen.

https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-Duets-Violin-Arranged-Doris/dp/B004EFHW9E/

November 11, 2022, 12:56 PM · I was just coming here to recommend the Doris Gazda arrangements.
November 11, 2022, 12:57 PM · https://imslp.org/wiki/18_Violin_Duos%2C_Op.38_(Mazas%2C_Jacques_F%C3%A9r%C3%A9ol)

I‘d like to suggest Mazas, Op 38.

Edited: November 12, 2022, 2:16 AM · This list may help you, the pieces at the very beginning of the list or the titles with words Easy, Elementary, Little.
Edited: November 12, 2022, 6:48 AM · Great suggestion from Anne S.
I started playing the Mazas Op.38 duets with my father when I was a pre-teen. We also played duets by Mozart and leClair.

Simply Google "IMSLP Mazas violin duets" or if you have lots of spare time to explore, google "IMSLP violin duets"

November 12, 2022, 9:48 AM · Remember, Jake said "for like nearly complete beginners."

LeClair and Mozart duets are wonderful but don't really qualify.

November 12, 2022, 10:46 AM · I did think that, Paul. But Pavel's list was great. I've also heard back from my violin friends and my teacher and have a load of suggestions from them too. Thanks guys!
November 12, 2022, 3:34 PM · If they are still in print: "Beautiful Music for Two Violins" by Samuel Applebaum - Volumes 1 & 2.
November 20, 2022, 5:32 PM · Seconding the Applebaum books which also come in different string instruments.

Also try Deborah Greenblatt books which are mostly interpretations of fiddle traditions (the OCarolan has lovely tunes that would go well with Suzuki, I think) but included some early music. They also come in multi instrument versions.
https://www.greenblattandseay.com/publications.shtml

If it's just one beginner and soneoone more advanced, try the Rhys Jones playalong books which have a very easy accompaniment part, and for more accomished students, a chord based accompaniment part.

I've also had success with having complete beginners join in at concerts playing open string pizz 'bassline' (obviously, only if the tune is in d or g), which could be regarded as a duet of sorts.

November 20, 2022, 5:34 PM · Oh, also have a look at dorflein book 1. Dorflein had composer friends contribute to his method books.
November 20, 2022, 5:34 PM · Oh, also have a look at dorflein book 1. Dorflein had composer friends contribute to his method books.
Edited: November 21, 2022, 10:13 AM · Swedish or American style "Twin Fiddling". The second violin part will be a harmony part in the same rhythm and bowing as the melody part. The two violins help each other instead of getting into distracting counter-point.
November 25, 2022, 4:28 AM · Schott publishes a lovely collection titled "duets for fun" which is available for physical and digital purchase :)
November 25, 2022, 10:50 AM · The Hohmann Method for Violin has some excellent duos. Try Book 1 and Book 2. Also, I enjoyed playing duos by Pleyel when I was a kid. And still do!
November 26, 2022, 11:47 AM · Thanks everyone!

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

JR Judd Violins
JR Judd Violins

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

2023 Authenticate LA: Los Angeles Violin Shop
2023 Authenticate LA

Violinist.com Shopping Guide
Violinist.com Shopping Guide

Stringtelligence

Metzler Violin Shop

Southwest Strings

Bobelock Cases

Johnson String Instrument/Carriage House Violins

Jargar Strings

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

FiddlerShop

Fiddlerman.com

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Baerenreiter

String Masters

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe