RIP Geoff Nuttall

November 6, 2022, 6:35 AM · I just learned that Geoff Nuttall died, a couple of weeks ago, from pancreatic cancer, at the age of 56. I met Geoff briefly when he visited Virginia Tech, performed a recital with the St. Lawrence String Quartet, and hosted a play-in of quartet music with local amateurs. His enthusiasm was indeed boundless.

Here's the NYT obituary:
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/22/arts/music/geoff-nuttall-dead.html

In case that one is behind a paywall for you, here's another:
https://news.stanford.edu/report/2022/10/25/internationally-acclaimed-violinist-stanford-musician-geoff-nuttall-died/

Replies (11)

Edited: November 10, 2022, 8:39 AM · Geoff and I started violin together in London Ontario in 1971 along with Scott and Lara St.John.Even from an early age he had an intensity , intellect and sheer natural ability on the violin that was instantly recognizable.
We both studied at Western with Lorand Fenyves in the early 1980s.Even with his enormous talent, I never felt threatened or intimidated by Geoff.He shared his knowledge freely with all of us and was always encouraging.In fact he helped me through some dark times as I struggled through lessons with Mr.Fenyves.
I enrolled in the Orchestral Training Program at The Royal Conservatory in 1986 and having Barry Shiffman as my roomate( 2nd violin in the St.Lawrence String Quartet) I was in frequent contact with Geoff and loved bouncing ideas off him concerning career choices , girlfriends , violins etc.
It was through Geoff and Barry' s insistence that I audition for Steven Staryk which I did.
I still cant believe he is gone and am heartbroken.I lost a great friend.
November 6, 2022, 1:58 PM · Thank you so much for that reminiscence, Peter.
November 6, 2022, 5:56 PM · Such a tragic loss for the world of music. I was looking forward to seeing him next month at Duke. He had such passion and talent. I hope he is now playing music in heaven with Papa Joe Haydn.
November 6, 2022, 11:33 PM · What a talent, and as a person, he seemed like a whole lot of fun. Very sad. Rest In Peace.
Edited: November 7, 2022, 10:18 AM · Well said Andrew and John.Geoff was a fascinating mix of vigorous intellect, mischievious fun and all around cool guy.Being quite athletic all his life, its incongruent to think of Geoff as having any disease.I think I' m still in the " denial" stage regarding his death.This is a hard one....
November 7, 2022, 10:25 AM · RIP Geoff. One of my favourite videos on YouTube is a sort of lecture-recital thing with the St Lawrence Quartet on a Haydn quartet. His enthusiasm and energy never fails to inspire me. I'm sad I'll never get to see him perform live
Edited: November 7, 2022, 11:13 AM · I think this may be the video Jake is referring to:

The Humor of Hadyn | St. Lawrence String Quartet | TEDxStanford

Unfortunately the sound quality in this video is very poor, I think it's because the first violin mainly feeds through the small speaker's microphone that Geoff is wearing.

November 7, 2022, 11:52 AM · I think Jean's is a shortened version. Here is the full one:
https://youtu.be/gCnIsdxd-Bg
November 7, 2022, 1:33 PM · ah thanks Jake, that is much better (also, about another piece).
November 8, 2022, 11:05 AM · Geoff did mini versions of those lectures at his recitals. When SLSQ visited here Geoff introduced some of the key themes and ideas to listen for, and the quartet played little snippets to demonstrate those. It was wonderful, I wish more performers would do this. The local symphony has a pre-concert lecture given by the music director, and he plays some of the main themes on the piano and discusses those for about 20 minutes.
November 8, 2022, 5:13 PM · I went to a concert this evening by the Royal Philharmonic in London. They had a preconcert talk. I agree, it was really interesting! If ans when I get around to doing my own concertising, I think I'd like to do something similar to what Bruce Adolphe does for the Chamber Music Societty of Lincoln Centre

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

JR Judd Violins
JR Judd Violins

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

2023 Authenticate LA: Los Angeles Violin Shop
2023 Authenticate LA

Violinist.com Shopping Guide
Violinist.com Shopping Guide

Stringtelligence

Metzler Violin Shop

Southwest Strings

Bobelock Cases

Johnson String Instrument/Carriage House Violins

Jargar Strings

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

FiddlerShop

Fiddlerman.com

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Baerenreiter

String Masters

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe