The STRAD playing hub

October 30, 2022, 10:14 AM · I just discovered this on line:

https://www.thestrad.com/playing-hub

Unfortunately only subscribers to The STRAD magazine are able to access it. However, a trial use is available.

I have had a continuing subscription to The STRAD since 1970 except for 5 years around 1990 (when they raised the subscription charge to its current neighborhood) and I shared a subscription charge with one of my adult students and the local violin maker, who was able to use the charge as a tax write-off.

Replies (11)

October 30, 2022, 3:11 PM · are you trying to share the article or shill for the mag? Just copy and paste if you're trying to share an article behind a paywall!
October 30, 2022, 6:09 PM · It was the whole concept, not one specific article - and then when I was 1/2-way into finishing my post I realized it might be limited to subscribers so I tried to try to access it on my wife's computer and found that indeed, I could not really share it so I decided there was no real harm in shilling for a a publication I have enjoyed for more than half a century.

I thought it possible that some other violinist-dot-comers might want to go for it or at least try the free trial.

October 30, 2022, 7:53 PM · Since we're shilling for magazines, The New Yorker is pretty damned good too. The cartoons alone are worth the subscription price.
October 31, 2022, 1:46 AM · Agreeing with Andrew and Paul... .
November 2, 2022, 2:39 AM · @ Paul, I'll second that. My younger daughter has a subscription to The New Yorker and loves it. The refined prose is also an excellent way to hone English language skills for non-mother tongues.
November 2, 2022, 2:54 AM · Thanks Andrew, sorry your thread got hijacked. I'm afraid the Strad playing hub isn't for me. Talk of finger push-ups, developing powerful base knuckles and vibrato exercises just makes me feel inadequate.
Edited: November 2, 2022, 10:15 AM · I think there's a time and a place for A-level professional advice. Let's remember there are amateurs out there -- a lot of them -- that really want to up their game. Still, I have to wonder how often the answer is "ask your teacher" like it is around here. I balked at the price of The Strad. It's really not that expensive and I can afford it, but honestly I can't buy everything. I already spend so much on music stuff, including my daughter's lessons, her instrument and bow, piles of sheet music, all that stuff.
November 2, 2022, 4:04 PM · @ Andrew Thank you for the post. Unfortunately I cannot bring myself to spring for the subscription cost. Like Paul I must limit the spending somewhere. Lord knows I've spent a small fortune on strings alone this year!
November 2, 2022, 5:15 PM · I understand balking at the price of a STRAD subscription - it caused me to resort to a shared subscription 30 years ago, for about 5 years - but then I moved away. But thinking about it differently, it costs about as much as a single one-hour violin lesson with a local professional in these parts.
November 2, 2022, 6:46 PM · The New Yorker owes me and everyone an apology for continuing to disseminate the fake news that Andy Borowitz is humorous.
November 2, 2022, 9:48 PM · Hi Andrew, thanks for sharing this. Personally, I really like the playing hub; lots of great information there! The cost is quite reasonable for the current issue, access to ALL back issues, and the hub for less than $7 a month; I've been a digital subscriber for years and love it.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

JR Judd Violins
JR Judd Violins

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

2023 Authenticate LA: Los Angeles Violin Shop
2023 Authenticate LA

Violinist.com Shopping Guide
Violinist.com Shopping Guide

Stringtelligence

Metzler Violin Shop

Southwest Strings

Bobelock Cases

Johnson String Instrument/Carriage House Violins

Jargar Strings

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

FiddlerShop

Fiddlerman.com

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Baerenreiter

String Masters

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe