Awesome Gitlis

October 27, 2022, 3:49 PM · Sometimes I think we should do a little less practice and a little more listening to the impossible made to look easy. Gitlis at his best:
https://youtu.be/HYzuFujNxTg
Cheers,
Buri

Replies (7)

Edited: October 27, 2022, 5:43 PM · Buri: Gitlis was certainly one of the greats. His Bartok Concerto is still my favorite performance of that piece. He brings to it a sense of fiery gypsy abandon and passion in a clear piercing voice that cuts through like a knife. I'm sure Bartok would have appreciated it had he lived to hear it.

I've just listened to your link, which is Gitlis playing Bloch's Nigun. Wow, what a performance (and what a piece of music). I've heard a few performances over time of this piece, but this Gitlis performance is in a class by itself, truly.

Edited: October 27, 2022, 7:20 PM · That poor pianist. With only 800 pounds of instrument available to him, he had no chance. (I agree with Sandy.)
Edited: October 28, 2022, 12:44 AM ·
I have an older recording of his on vinyl. I've also seen YouTube videos of him playing when he was in his 40's. He was fantastic.

For me, he's one of the very few that could play Paganini in a way that it made musical sense. (Given all of those quirky sounds that emanate from a violin on which Paganini is being played.)

In the case of Paganini, I don't know whether to feel more sorry for the performer or for the violin.

October 28, 2022, 4:12 AM · What a great performance. I love the ease and pleasure with which he performs the piece. Thanks for posting this.
October 28, 2022, 7:56 AM · Awesome indeed, and the video is also instructive for beginners, as it clearly shows you sometimes really have to dare to put weight on your bow (if accompanied by bow speed). This is something that beginners really have to "dare", first in their private practice room, once they get it, it improves their tone instantly.
October 28, 2022, 4:44 PM · @Paul - in fairness to the pianist, this is really a piece for the violin. The main job of the pianist is to stay relevant but out of the way. Awesome performance by Gitlis, who is one of the all-time greats. It also helps that this piece fits squarely within his tradition; he pours out his soul.
October 28, 2022, 7:27 PM · 2015 Concert for Ivry Gitlis in southern France:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdffxjGr_5Y

Gitlis was born in 1922 - he was 93 when this (almost 2 hour) concert was presented in his honor. He plays 15 minutes of solos with piano accompaniment starting around 45 minutes. There are other youtube videos of his late-life performances.

I enjoyed watching TV plays of some of his performances at the Verbier Festivals in Switzerland earlier this century.

One of my goals is to have other people still allow me to play with them when I am in my 90s.

Ivry Gitlis died in 2020 at the age of 98.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

JR Judd Violins
JR Judd Violins

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

2023 Authenticate LA: Los Angeles Violin Shop
2023 Authenticate LA

Violinist.com Shopping Guide
Violinist.com Shopping Guide

Stringtelligence

Metzler Violin Shop

Southwest Strings

Bobelock Cases

Johnson String Instrument/Carriage House Violins

Jargar Strings

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

FiddlerShop

Fiddlerman.com

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Baerenreiter

String Masters

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe