Spaulder shoulder rest.

October 27, 2022, 3:13 AM · Hello all,

although it's still early days, has anyone tried the new Spaulder shoulder cushion?

Replies (14)

October 27, 2022, 4:16 AM · I can't find this one. Do you have a link?
Edited: October 27, 2022, 4:39 AM · Not to be confused with a pauldron, Lol.

(Espalda means shoulder, I recall?)
Prolly this: -
https://valerispeights.com/violin-spaulder

Edited: October 27, 2022, 5:20 AM · Here,

https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/6165c7edb0b10a165bb4d02b/dfdc520d-1b45-43f4-8cf8-ab53a42b9ead/spaulder-2.0-shoulder-rest-comfortable-alternative-valeri-speights.JPG?format=1000w

October 27, 2022, 7:47 PM · Kind of looks like something I've already seen 100 versions of.

Kypros, would you mind sharing a little more about exactly what you would like a "perfect" shoulder rest to do? (you're probably already aware of this from my previous threads, but I'm designing a new type of shoulder rest).

If you don't want to share this publicly, you're always welcome to email me at sacramentostrings@gmail.com

October 27, 2022, 11:56 PM · It looks to me like an expensive car sponge and rubber band.
October 31, 2022, 10:23 AM · I notice it has "VS" stamped on it. Does it help with fast page turns?
Edited: November 1, 2022, 11:57 PM · As some others have said, it just looks like a sponge with a rubber band, only it's $70. I can't imagine why anybody would want it.
November 2, 2022, 6:48 AM · John, they might want it if the size or shape or surface texture or traction or modulus or durability or appearance of the product is better (for them) than a sponge with a rubber band. I bet you know people who are just fine spending $70 on one meal. Seems reasonable, therefore, to spend that much on a device that will make your violin easier to play for years to come.
November 2, 2022, 7:04 AM · @John - It is shaped differently from a pure sponge, so It might work better for some. I think Paul's points are spot on. It is more expensive than most of the SRs that I have bought, but for all I know, it might work better. Never tried it.
November 2, 2022, 11:41 PM · I mean people spend $300-$400 on the korfkerrest and that's just some very light bendable wood with some rubber feet yet people have no problem buying it if it works for them and makes playing more comfortable.
November 3, 2022, 7:46 AM · @Christian - your point is a good one. If the Spaulder rest really helps you to play better, then it is probably worth the money.
November 3, 2022, 8:47 AM · It looks beautiful and probably feels nice. In combination with a chinrest it basically allows shouder-rest-free playing, because all it seems to do (which is also all you need) is to prevent slippage, and being a bit thicker, also a bit of buffering. For me personally, just a piece of chamois leather is sufficient, so I won't buy it, but it looks very nice to me.
November 4, 2022, 5:59 PM · My problem is excessively sloping shoulders, so I don't think that one would help. Has anyone ever tried epaulettes of some kind?
November 5, 2022, 6:50 AM · @ Jean, I agree with your assessment. I also use a thin piece of chamois to prevent slippage. I could probably make something like this work. But I’d have to swap my chinrests again and I don’t see an advantage to doing so. Also, this device may dampen the sound a bit.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

JR Judd Violins
JR Judd Violins

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

2023 Authenticate LA: Los Angeles Violin Shop
2023 Authenticate LA

Violinist.com Shopping Guide
Violinist.com Shopping Guide

Stringtelligence

Metzler Violin Shop

Southwest Strings

Bobelock Cases

Johnson String Instrument/Carriage House Violins

Jargar Strings

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

FiddlerShop

Fiddlerman.com

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Baerenreiter

String Masters

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe