My string is unraveling on the bridge!

September 27, 2022, 12:27 AM · Hi! My violin currently has Alphayue strings. I study and play daily. I travel almost every day to different places with different temperatures and humidity. I've had these strings for 3 months. What happens is that, specifically, the A string is wearing out, unwinding right at its bridge end. Exactly on top. The penultimate string change (with Pirastro Gold) took place in exactly the same place. Is it my bridge? Climate changes? Strings quality? What made me curious is that it was in the same place and on the same string and with a set of from different brands. I emphasize that my bridge is properly adjusted.

Replies (10)

September 27, 2022, 2:04 AM · Samuel, have you rubbed a little graphite into the bridge, at the point where the strings make contact? It sounds as though the frequent tuning adjustment have caused the damage.
September 27, 2022, 6:17 AM · The graphite suggestion is a good one. Some other thoughts: could it be pressure/friction from the case? Where did you get your strings? It might be worth it to try another brand and see if things change.
September 27, 2022, 7:45 AM · I agree, follow the preceding suggestions, and check to be sure the A-string groove in your bridge is not narrower than the string diameter.

I did have the same problem many years ago.

Also be sure the pencil point you use to lubricate your string grooves at the bridge and nut is pointed enough to get into all the string grooves and the lead is soft enough to do the job.

September 27, 2022, 9:57 AM · Putting graphite into the groove will help lubricate, as indicated above. Also, check that the groove itself is properly rounded, that the string doesn’t sit too deep (1/3-1/2 the diameter of the string is ideal), and that there aren’t sharp edges to pinch the sides of the string. The same applies to the nut.
Edited: September 27, 2022, 11:01 AM · Especially lack of graphite (I use a 4B pencil) in conjunction with fine tuners?
(pegs, I suspect, otoh, make the strings wear out quicker at the nut)
If you save your old nylon E-string sleeves, you could try one on the A string too.
Edited: September 27, 2022, 1:33 PM · A sharp edge at the bridge.
Groove too narrow.
Groove too deep.
Use pencil graphite.
A Luthier can fix that. They have a set of special, very narrow files.
September 27, 2022, 2:03 PM · I tried doing the above procedure. I will do everything I'm told. However, I'm going to take advantage of it and replace the easel. It's time to switch.
September 27, 2022, 3:57 PM · The above replies are very good for bridge grooves and graphite. I personally believe with lots of weather extremes and a lot of playing,
3 months is a long time for string life. It might be time to consider upgrading to Tonicas or Dominants for better durability.
September 27, 2022, 5:51 PM · I’ll add that aluminum-wound strings are more susceptible to unraveling, which is why the A string tends to be the one that goes bad first. Aluminum D strings have this issue as well.
September 27, 2022, 9:14 PM · Has anyone mentioned graphite yet?

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

JR Judd Violins
JR Judd Violins

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Shopping Guide
Violinist.com Shopping Guide

Stringtelligence

Metzler Violin Shop

Southwest Strings

Bobelock Cases

Johnson String Instrument/Carriage House Violins

Jargar Strings

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

FiddlerShop

Fiddlerman.com

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Baerenreiter

String Masters

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe