Is my composition for solo violin playable?

September 25, 2022, 5:43 PM · Hi, recently I posted the beginning of this piece with a question and now I present to you my whole piece with variations for solo violin. I ask you - would you say that this is playable? Which parts could be improved? Especially the jumps starting at m. 123 may be to wide? Thank you for your help!
www.gerdprengel.de/Beeth_sketch_variations_solo_violin.pdf

Replies (3)

September 25, 2022, 6:13 PM · Measure 92 looks kind of rough, but I'm just eyeballing.
September 25, 2022, 9:48 PM · This measure has a solution: Play the second 8th on the open A, then the d with first finger and the following double top (g sharp = a flat) with 2 4. The jumps later on are playable but some of them are very difficult to play legato, maybe impossible.
October 1, 2022, 10:19 PM · As Albrecht mentioned, measures 140, 143, and 144 are quasi-impossible to play slurred. To execute those passages, a violinist would have to either jump back and forth with the bow between the G and A strings, skipping over the D, or he would need such large hands that he could stretch the suggested interval of a twelfth.

Now, if you took out the slurs, those measures would become completely playable: easy, in fact, for anyone with good bow technique. The slurs are what make those passages nearly impossible.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

JR Judd Violins
JR Judd Violins

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Shopping Guide
Violinist.com Shopping Guide

Stringtelligence

Metzler Violin Shop

Southwest Strings

Bobelock Cases

Johnson String Instrument/Carriage House Violins

Jargar Strings

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

FiddlerShop

Fiddlerman.com

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Baerenreiter

String Masters

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe