Need help - composing for solo Violin playing 2 voices

September 22, 2022, 5:18 AM · Hello, one of Beethoven's last sketched Adagio themes is from 1825 - I love that wonderful and more or less unknown tune so much that I wrote variations on it for string quartet and I want to do this now also with new varaitions for solo violin, but I don't really know how a violin can cope with 2 voices. I have here in the first 2 systems the notes, how I would like to have it performed, but I am afraid that a solo violin can not do this - is that so? www.gerdprengel.de/Variations_Beeth_Adagio_Violinsolo.JPG

Do you think that the 3rd line would be a proper realisation? Thank you for your help!

(original realisation for string quartet:
www.gerdprengel.de/Beeth_quartett_sketch_1825_variations.pdf
www.gerdprengel.de/Beeth_quartett_sketch_1825_variations.mp3 )

Gerd

Replies (4)

September 22, 2022, 5:40 AM · That should work OK apart from the low A in bar 8
September 22, 2022, 5:51 AM · ok, thank you, Steve, but the notes of the first 2 systems can not be played as they stand there - I need the realisation of system 3, right?
September 22, 2022, 6:40 AM · Your URLs aren’t working for me.
September 22, 2022, 8:21 AM · With the exception of m. 8, the notes in system 3 are playable. However, the direct realization is not ideal in a number of places; it doesn't always sit well under the violinist's fingers. An example would be m. 18. This is playable, but it is uncomfortable and likely won't sound great, especially at any moderate or faster speed. If you leave out the higher note on each chord, you would have the same effect and harmonic structure with much easier playability.

In addition, the slurs (bowing) definitely needs significant revision. This isn't hard to do.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

JR Judd Violins
JR Judd Violins

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Shopping Guide
Violinist.com Shopping Guide

Stringtelligence

Metzler Violin Shop

Southwest Strings

Bobelock Cases

Johnson String Instrument/Carriage House Violins

Jargar Strings

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

FiddlerShop

Fiddlerman.com

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Baerenreiter

String Masters

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe