Chamois on a chinrest

Edited: September 16, 2022, 4:35 AM · I'm currently wanting to put chamois leather on my chinrest. Not sure of the best way. I'd be happy to glue on just a single layer, but the glue may ruin the chinrest. Maybe Cow Gum (might not exist any more)? Or I could apply glue underneath the chinrest and wrap the chamois around it. Or I could devise some kind of sewn pouch contraption. Newspaper editor's temporary glue? What ways have you tried?

Replies (17)

September 16, 2022, 5:34 AM · A pocket for the "dish" of the rest, with the top layer extended as a flap right over the mechanism.
September 16, 2022, 5:58 AM · The Strad Pad uses velcro-- perhaps that can be incorporated?
Edited: September 16, 2022, 6:45 AM · as Adrian has said...

I have a nice chinrest from Alexander Accessories and did not want my sweat to ruin it in the longer term

Also I did not want to 'stick' anything on it at all so the 'pocket' method is great, you just slide it onto the chin rest and it will stay in place and you can slide it off at the end of your practice/play

I was 'too lazy' to make my own so I bought it from leatherwood website:
https://www.leatherwoodrosin.com.au/products/chin-rest-cover-italian-suede

I happen to be very happy to have spent the money as the suede they have used is thin but good quality and soft, as it is thin and soft it tends not to mute/change the sound of my violin as much as other thicker chamois (I am a little 'fussy' on how I hear my violin under my ear but I know the audience won't know the difference)

Obviously you can make the same thing very easily by yourself even if you don't have a sawing machine it would be very easy to do by hand, just need a good piece of soft suede/chamois

Edited: September 16, 2022, 7:36 AM · I have used velcro - the type with self-stick on one side.

Before you cut the chamois you may want to consider making it a flap that goes around the bottom edge of the violin and protects your collar bone as well. That's what I did when I used chamois to make my own chamois chinrest covers.

In more recent years I have been using a design of cotton pad that was available on Amazon and from several on-line violin dealers (my most recent purchase was made 4 years ago. I have 6 of them, one on each violin and viola. More recently I find this item available only from ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/322109345547?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=322109345547&targetid=1262779893289&device=c&mktype=&googleloc=9032116&poi=&campaignid=14859008593&mkgroupid=130497710760&rlsatarget=pla-1262779893289&abcId=9300678&merchantid=111991726&gclid=Cj0KCQjwvZCZBhCiARIsAPXbajvanb6SHbmzRR8KoYXf19df-TFAZ82dGHA5ptqbz-H8YH836G2OrkoaAisdEALw_wcB

September 16, 2022, 7:41 AM · Somehow, the Leatherwood site seems to be off-line at the moment.
September 16, 2022, 9:05 AM · Stephen...seems to be working ok my end (the link above in my post) guess temporary 'glitches' can happen.
September 16, 2022, 10:29 AM · The leatherwood chinresst cover seems to work on the same principles as the cotton cover I linked to (and use).
September 16, 2022, 11:05 AM · Velcro adds a lot of thickness. I would take the chin rest off, give it a very light dusting with 3M Super-77 (think Gorilla Glue in a spray can) and then put your chamois on. Since you're using only a tiny bit of adhesive you should be able to peel off the chamois after a while, and then the small amount of adhesive residue can probably be conquered with acetone or sandpaper depending on its consistency.
Edited: September 19, 2022, 3:16 PM · Odd-- I am still getting

This site can’t be reached

Check if there is a typo in www.leatherwoodrosin.com.au.

Although I am having success after a Google search with https://www.leatherwoodrosin.eu/collections/essential-accompaniments

Edited: September 17, 2022, 8:23 AM · I use a sheet of chamois that covers the chinrest and then hangs down to also cover the bracket (I have a zinc allergy). If you cut the leather wide enough you can hold it on with a rubber band (looped twice in my case) that sits over the chamois and round the underside of the rest.

This has worked for me for 6 or more years - and my luthier loves it too because it protects the varnish from skin oils.

I should add that it is not a good idea to glue it on since it will need replacing or washing periodically.

September 17, 2022, 8:38 AM · I do exactly what Elise does as it makes it flexible and easy to wash. I bought soft chamois at a from a hardware store and washed it multiple times to remove whatever. It is soft, flexible, stays where you put it without adhesive, and is cheap and easy. No permanent stuff but a rubber band can help. Several pieces come in a packs so I cut them in rectangles that cover the chinrest and wrap around the metal parts. Keeps it nicely snug in place almost automatically. Good for sweaty playing in summer and softening touch on tender areas.
Edited: September 17, 2022, 9:31 AM · "check if there is a typo in www.leatherwoodrosin.com.au"

It is the "a" toward the very end of the URL. That should be an "e".

Noting that Elise's method sounds like a winner but I'm also recalling that she plays without an SR. Not sure how adding an SR to the mix changes the overall success of the method. I play quartets frequently with a fine violinist (a skilled amateur) who uses a little towel in much the same way, just draping it around the instrument and she seems quite happy with it. The added rubber band should give even more security.

I'm thinking of those "chin comforter" pads that you can buy from Shar that are adhesive on the back and shaped exactly to fit the most common models of CR. My Super-77 approach is basically a DIY version of that with spray adhesive and chamois. I think I can even improve on my own method by suggesting that the piece of chamois receive the light spray of adhesive instead of the CR because you can lay it out on a sheet of newspaper and not have to worry about where the penumbra of the spray will go. You have to be very careful with Super-77 because that is the stickiest stuff on earth, it's an absolutely wonderful product.

September 17, 2022, 2:20 PM · No difference Paul. Its out of range of the scaffold.. ;) :D
September 17, 2022, 2:20 PM · No difference Paul. Its out of range of the scaffold.. ;) :D
September 17, 2022, 3:23 PM · I'm not a medicinal chemist. I know nothing of scaffolds. :)
Edited: September 21, 2022, 9:33 AM · This weekend I had the idea of glueing the chamois to a thin gelpad. Turns out there's no need for glue - chamois sticks to a brand new, i.e. perfectly clean, gel pad.
Edited: September 23, 2022, 9:14 AM ·
Versus a cloth to protect my violin, I use a chamois. (I got the idea from my teacher.)

But rather than carrying it around as a separate item, I've fastened it to the "underside" of my shoulder rest. I use a KUN shoulder rest, where the two risers on each end fasten to the underside of the shoulder rest itself via two small, threaded caps. (Each cap screws onto a small, brass bolt.) So, my chamois is secured between the two risers and the shoulder rest. I positioned two small holes in the chamois to fit over the top of the bolts. When not playing, the chamois hangs down from the shoulder rest under the violin. As I bring my violin up to play, I flop the chamois over the top of the chin rest.

I cut the chamois to a pattern that puts curves in all the right places. Because of the geometry of the chin rest, the top and bottom of the violin, etc, it took a few tries to come up with a pattern that's both functional and aesthetically pleasing.

Combining the chamois with the shoulder rest in this fashion works great and completely protects both the violin and the chin rest from perspiration. Having a chamois (versus a cloth) between my chin and chin rest makes it easier to grip the violin while playing.

Eventually, the chamois collects perspiration and discolors. So, it periodically needs replacing. I use the previous chamois as a pattern to cut the new chamois. Auto parts stores carry chamois to dry cars after having been washed.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

JR Judd Violins
JR Judd Violins

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Shopping Guide
Violinist.com Shopping Guide

Stringtelligence

Metzler Violin Shop

Southwest Strings

Bobelock Cases

Johnson String Instrument/Carriage House Violins

Jargar Strings

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

FiddlerShop

Fiddlerman.com

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Baerenreiter

String Masters

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe