Pirastro Tonica vs Thomastik AlphaYue

Edited: September 15, 2022, 10:06 AM · Hi!

Witch violin strings set to choose between Tonica and AlphaYue ?
Better longevity ? better projection and sound ?

Replies (7)

September 15, 2022, 10:21 AM · Tonica
September 15, 2022, 10:48 AM · The sound depends on the violin+string combination. Currently I have a Breton that's mellow with Visions to increase its projection, and I have a Gewa that's bright with Zyexes to tone it down a little. The Zyexes sounded like mud on the Breton. I've got some spare Tonicas. Can't remember when or where I last used them. I change my strings every 6 months, so longevity doesn't come into it.
Edited: September 15, 2022, 1:36 PM · Tonica is Pirastro's version of Thomastik's Dominant, they are equally good strings and very similar.

AlphaYue Is a cheaper string by Thomastik and not as good as Dominant or Tonica

September 15, 2022, 4:21 PM · Definitely Tonica over AlphaYue
September 15, 2022, 4:42 PM · I would agree that it depends on the violin. There’s a graduate student in my studio that uses them on his violin and they actually sound quite good on his violin. When I saw his violin though he was using rondos until I saw the box in his case and the grey winding at the leg end. I’m sure he uses them because they’re very cheap so he can afford to change them more often.
Edited: September 17, 2022, 10:34 AM · It really comes down to cost here, and what works best on the particular fiddle.

Pirastro Tonica is ~$34 a set, so it is better compared to Warchal Karneol and Thomastik Spirit in the same price range. I find the Spirit to be the brightest and punchiest of the three, with Tonica in the middle, and Karneol the warmest and darkest.

Thomastik Alphayue is a budget string at ~$27 which compares with D'Addario Ascente at ~$25. These have been vastly superior in terms of sound and response for inexpensive student instruments, especially in K-12 school programs, than the all-steel sets that are commonly used because of their durability. But they're not going to compete well against more expensive string sets.

Edited: September 17, 2022, 6:51 PM · To me, Alphayues have kind of a watery sound that lacks both warmth and depth. I find they have less of both than Dominant and also less than Tonica.

But soft on the fingers, easy to play, and pleasant sounding, they are.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

JR Judd Violins
JR Judd Violins

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Shopping Guide
Violinist.com Shopping Guide

Stringtelligence

Metzler Violin Shop

Southwest Strings

Bobelock Cases

Johnson String Instrument/Carriage House Violins

Jargar Strings

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

FiddlerShop

Fiddlerman.com

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Baerenreiter

String Masters

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe