Tricks to make the foam of the shoulder rest stickier

September 6, 2022, 11:16 AM · As the title says. Do you have any DIY to make the foam less slippery? My VLM diamond’s foam has become too smooth in areas in touch with my collarbone. Other than the surface, the foam is still in good condition.
Thanks!

Replies (15)

September 6, 2022, 1:12 PM · I think just writing to them to get replacement foam is the right choice. When I was using one, I was able to get replacement foam from my local shop, I think.
September 6, 2022, 4:19 PM · I do wonder if you couldn't take a razorblade and take a very small amount of "skin" from the top of the foam to expose "fresh" foam underneath. It may be oxidized under there, though. Only one way to find out!

By the way, this is one of the reasons my shoulder rest design will have easily replaceable foam.

September 6, 2022, 4:30 PM · There is a catalog part number for that part-it is indeed easily taken off (referring to VLM Diamond, not Kun Bravo and others.) But it is not readily known you can easily replace this given foam, so I assume a few people buy another rest when this happens.

Hopefully you are able to fix this soon.

September 6, 2022, 6:11 PM · Attach some of the stuff they sell to stop carpets slipping.
September 7, 2022, 1:11 AM · Strangely I was pondering this very problem yesterday. After a bit of experimentation I decided the slippage was mostly occurring between the chin-rest and my chin, or rather my beard...
September 7, 2022, 6:53 AM ·

There are glues out there that adhere like painters tape or post-it note. I'm not sure what glue type it is

https://www.amazon.ca/Scotch-Restickable-Stick-3-Pack-6307-3/dp/B00D32SO3W/ref=dp_fod_2?pd_rd_i=B00D32SO3W&psc=1

you may have to experiment with different types.

September 7, 2022, 7:50 AM · The Bon Musica has fab foam, but it's totally the wrong shoulder rest for me. My favourite rest is a simple piece of curved maple, but the rubber is not so good. I have added anti-slip under-matting, but that's not as good as the Bon Musica rubber. Makeup removal pads are great but a bit small and usually circular, which isn't so good. Maybe wetsuit offcuts would work?
Edited: September 7, 2022, 8:48 AM · Bon Musica SR is quite a special shoulder rest, seemingly intrusive (I always hated how cumbersome it looked on others when I was young), but quite an effective musical tool when used right. I agree it may not go low enough for some, but it does go at least "medium-low" if you adjust it well. I emulated a "regular" shoulder rest by bending the metal so the hook is quite minimal and actually helps, rather than lock me into a position. Also similarly curved and lowered the steel in the rightmost, chest/clavicule area. It should probably never be used in its stock, new-in-box shape. It could hurt a violinist forever if pressure is used between neck and shoulder-used very loosely-as one should with all shoulder rests!-it does a fantastic job. It is less forgiving of misuse than a simple Kun, though the latter can also hurt a player if misused-just that with the Bon Musica, problems will be even more obvious and possibly painful. Would recommend it under strict supervision of a good teacher, or for anyone that knows what he/she is looking for, and can easily detect posture problems. Definitely not beginner-friendly unless well-managed by a teacher or someone who can assist in finding a custom fit for the violinist. The Bon Musica is great as a customizable solution-not so much as a one-size-fits-all proposition... it *must* be customized or else most of its point is lost.

(It is not for everyone! Feel free to disagree with me. If you hate it, I would likely understand why.)

Yes, it's foam is quite grippy, and seems to last well. I think it can also be ordered separately just as with the VLM Diamond, but not certain of it.

September 7, 2022, 9:57 AM · A very good appraisal, Adalberto.
September 7, 2022, 10:35 AM · hi Carlos, you talk specifically about the collarbone, where does your shoulder rest touch your collarbone? I suppose that is the part close to your shoulder? (which makes sense for a shoulder rest :-) just asking!
Edited: September 7, 2022, 11:11 AM · Wetsuit repair kits might be had cheap. Might work, might not. amazon
September 7, 2022, 11:13 AM · It has smoothed in the area closer to my neck/collarbone/shirt neck. But it is also “polished” in the side closer to the chest.
To all, thank you for the suggestions. I don’t see easy to remove the foam and glue a new one, even if I could find the replacement. So I’m experimenting with some anti-slip straps in a different SR. To see if they get well attached there.
September 7, 2022, 12:09 PM · Carlos, a possibility is that alcohol or petrol will partially dissolve the surface of the rubber and make it tacky again. Of course, it's also possible that it will partially liquify it and ruin your lothing, lol!
September 7, 2022, 9:21 PM · Well. For the moment I am testing some hardware-shop stuff on similar foams before doing anything to the VLM. I'll share any extraordinary (or catastrophic) result.
Edited: September 8, 2022, 3:57 AM · You can also get silicone/nano gel tape. I hadn't thought of trying that on a shoulder rest.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

JR Judd Violins
JR Judd Violins

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Shopping Guide
Violinist.com Shopping Guide

Stringtelligence

Metzler Violin Shop

Southwest Strings

Bobelock Cases

Johnson String Instrument/Carriage House Violins

Jargar Strings

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

FiddlerShop

Fiddlerman.com

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Baerenreiter

String Masters

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe