Watch the Indianapolis Competition Livestream

Vibrating Strings

August 15, 2022, 9:38 PM · I noticed on my teacher's instrument when playing a perfectly in tune note corresponding to an open string, the open string will vibrate a lot visually. Obviously, it is given that this would create resonance on any instrument, however on my instrument, while it can be heard, it can not be seen. Does this have more to do with setup (bridge, string tension, etc..), or is it just the acoustics of one instrument being "better" the other?

Replies (4)

August 15, 2022, 10:58 PM · Can your teacher not make it happen on your instrument? I would think you'd have to have quite the cardboard box on your hands in order to not have some kind of resonance. Either that, or you may not be using enough weight into the strings.
August 16, 2022, 8:56 AM · It doesn't have to do with technique at all. I can make the same result my teacher can on her instrument, and she can not on mine. And my violin has resonance which is why I'm confused that it can not be seen. Maybe because I use EP, which are pretty high tension?
August 16, 2022, 4:18 PM · Report here what happens when you tune all the strings one semitone below.
August 16, 2022, 10:33 PM · It's called Sympathetic Resonance. Open strings have to be perfectly tuned and you have to absolutely nail the corresponding note. It works even on my child's old cheap half sized violin.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis
International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Virtual Sejong Music Competition
Virtual Sejong Music Competition

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Shopping Guide
Violinist.com Shopping Guide

Metzler Violin Shop

Bein & Company

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Los Angeles Violin Shop

String Masters

Bobelock Cases

Things 4 Strings LLC

Violin-Strings.com

Viola-Strings.com

Baerenreiter

Fiddlerman.com

FiddlerShop

Sleepy Puppy Press

Jargar Strings

J.R. Judd Violins, LLC

Southwest Strings

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe