Watch the Indianapolis Competition Livestream

1913 Lindsey and Owen(s) Violin

Edited: August 14, 2022, 3:15 PM · Hello all. I was recently given an old violin from a friend's estate sale. I was doing a little research to see what I could learn about it, and in what may be a first for me, I stumped the Google! I spent nearly an hour and came up with absolutely nothing.

I know there were hundreds of instrument manufacturers around the turn of the century, so I'm assuming this was some fly by night operation that knocked out a few instruments and moved on to something else.

It's marked Lindsey and Owen - Los Angeles. No serial, but the year marked is 1913.

Would anyone happen to know anything about this instrument?

Thanks-

Chris

Replies (16)

August 14, 2022, 1:00 PM · Please Please put a title on this thread!!
August 14, 2022, 3:17 PM · Hi Ann-

Thanks for the poke! I didn't realize it was a separate field.

Fixed.

Chris

August 14, 2022, 3:29 PM · Here you go:

https://amati.com/maker/lindsey-george-curtis

https://ancestors.familysearch.org/en/L23V-1MS/george-curtis-lindsey-1855-1943

August 14, 2022, 3:45 PM · By the way, you didn't stump Google, you used the wrong search terms.

Firstly, I never do string searches and use Boolean searching only for refinement.

I first searched: Lindsey and Owen California violin. The third return was what I show above.

I then searched: George Curtis Lindsey. The fourth return I show above. I was intrigued by the first return though which is of a George C. Lindsay with the alternate Lindsey spelling, with approximate dates but he is shown as a guitarist and composer. You might research him as well to determine if he was the same person.

August 14, 2022, 4:02 PM · Well done Ann!
August 15, 2022, 10:56 AM · Ann,

If it isn't too much trouble, could you explain what you mean by string and boolean search? What is the kind of search we normally use when we "google"? Is there a name for that?

Edited: August 15, 2022, 11:50 AM · At the time you list, there were quite a lot of businesses that would buy violins from abroad, then put in their own labels and market them as their own instruments. The label could indicate where the instrument was bought, but not necessarily where it was made or by whom. Shops still use private labels for instruments to avoid price wars now, but there’s a bit more openness about the country of origin for commercial instruments.
August 15, 2022, 2:09 PM · Amrita, I would ideally start with whatever the OP used to search for his violin to show how to improve it.

String search and Boolean search are 2 terms from the world of database searching. Unfortunately my dementia precludes me from elaborating here. Oh, I know, you can Google them! Google: string search. Google: Boolean operators.

Edited: August 15, 2022, 2:16 PM · The amati.com entry I noted makes it clear that Lindsey and Owen produced 540 violins over 30 years. That is a high number but not if there were other people working on them. Nowhere do I find a reference to labeling and reselling others' instruments however this would be a strong possibility. It would be helpful to know more about Lindsey's past to find out, for example, if he apprenticed somewhere. Owen sounds like a business partner.
August 15, 2022, 4:04 PM · Hi Ann. I did google those terms before asking, altho I don't use google. Unfortunately I'd need a Ph.D. in database science to understand the answers. No worries, though. I just wondered what kind of searching I was doing when I type words or a question into a search engine. I didn't realize there were different kinds of searches until you mentioned it. It's no biggie.

Whatever your dementia may be, you're still smarter on your worst day than I'll ever be on my best day.

August 15, 2022, 5:18 PM · Bruce, yes. Though Google has their own Boolean terms. A string search means strictly that it will return the exact string of characters.
Edited: August 15, 2022, 7:59 PM · Continued: Never begin with a string search because it will eliminate correct returns that are merely misspelled.
August 15, 2022, 6:32 PM · Amrita, you are very kind. My knowledge base seems intact, the problem is recall. You'd notice the long silences if we were to converse in person.

I've used other search engines but Google seems to give the most comprehensive data sets though you do have to wade through irrelevant returns if you are not quite sure what you're looking for.

August 15, 2022, 6:39 PM · Take good pictures and post on Maestronet.com Pegbox Forum
August 15, 2022, 6:41 PM · Bruce, yes, thank you.
August 26, 2022, 1:21 PM · Wow, Ann! Amazing information. Thanks so much!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis
International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Virtual Sejong Music Competition
Virtual Sejong Music Competition

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Shopping Guide
Violinist.com Shopping Guide

Metzler Violin Shop

Bein & Company

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Los Angeles Violin Shop

String Masters

Bobelock Cases

Things 4 Strings LLC

Violin-Strings.com

Viola-Strings.com

Baerenreiter

Fiddlerman.com

FiddlerShop

Sleepy Puppy Press

Jargar Strings

J.R. Judd Violins, LLC

Southwest Strings

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe