Watch the Indianapolis Competition Livestream

Bartok String Quartet recordings

Edited: August 13, 2022, 4:55 AM · I've been reducing my CD collection by getting rid of duplicates and unnecessary things (Purcell's Funeral Music for Queen Mary recorded in Winchester cathedral, yuck!). I've got two recordings of the Bartok String Quartets:- Berg and Guarneri. I had Guarneri on vinyl in the 70s. It was amusing to be reminded of the tape glitch again - an engineer must have nudged the tape with his coffee or his ashtray! Berg has too much reverb. I definitely prefer Guarneri for their intimacy and comparative dryness, but if only there weren't that tape glitch; and the stereo separation is sometimes bizarre. Also disc 1 has a very unwise track break between 5 and 6. Is there better? This feels like a FAQ, but I can't find it in the archives.

Incidentally, if anyone knows the history of the guarneri recording, I'd be interested to know it.

Replies (4)

Edited: August 13, 2022, 5:20 AM · The old Fine Arts Quartet is my favorite, followed by the Hungarian Quartet.
There is real anger, mystery, and sorrow in these works
August 13, 2022, 8:24 AM · I haven't heard all of the recordings, but have heard them live in Jordan Hall: Takacs. And Decca usually does well on the recording front.

Back in my student days, the go-to was Juilliard for character (and there were choices of mono, stereo, and digital to get people frothed up), and then Tokyo if you insisted on the ultimate refinement.

August 14, 2022, 1:35 AM · My favourite recording is by the Hungarian Keller Quartet from the early 90's.
August 15, 2022, 12:24 PM · One of my best vinyl LP sets is the Vegh Quartet playing these quartets.Its on Telefunken from 1972.Very energetic and folksy.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis
International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Virtual Sejong Music Competition
Virtual Sejong Music Competition

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Shopping Guide
Violinist.com Shopping Guide

Metzler Violin Shop

Bein & Company

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Los Angeles Violin Shop

String Masters

Bobelock Cases

Things 4 Strings LLC

Violin-Strings.com

Viola-Strings.com

Baerenreiter

Fiddlerman.com

FiddlerShop

Sleepy Puppy Press

Jargar Strings

J.R. Judd Violins, LLC

Southwest Strings

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe