Watch the Indianapolis Competition Livestream

Technique

Edited: August 10, 2022, 8:01 PM · When I read the responses participants here provide to questions that are asked on this violinist.com discussion blog I am often moved to consider how I can utilize the advice that I think is good and why I so often cannot.

At my advanced age I am always fighting physical degradation that robs me of abilities I once had, not only in playing my instruments but in life in general. Therefore I often have to find different ways to make the sounds I want to make (or take the steps I want to take, or reach the shelves I want to rach, etc., etc.).

I consider myself fortunate to have ever been able to do some things I did in life in general and music in particular in the past and admire those who are less fortunate and yet still aspire and, in fact, inspire by what they have managed to accomplish despite serious difficulties.

An article about a violinist born without a right hand appeared this morning in my email from the STRAD magazine and had a link to the following brief video. Below the video link is a link to the STRAD article (which you may not be able to access but the link might lead you to access further information on line if you are interested).

https://www.mysuncoast.com/2022/08/08/one-handed-violinist-inspires-sarasota-teachers-rethink-art-education/

And the STRAD on-line article:

https://www.thestrad.com/news/one-handed-violinist-inspires-students-and-teachers-in-sarasota/15236.article?utm_source=adestra&utm_term=NEWSLETTER%20STORY%20TWO%20HEADLINE&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=26278

Replies (4)

August 10, 2022, 4:12 PM · Andrew, your post reminds me of how often I think of aging and our natural life cycle. Before my mom suddenly died about 6 years ago, I never really gave my age a second thought. Ever since then, it's become something that I think about constantly, despite only being 32. It probably doesn't help that I have a few physical ailments that generally would only effect a much older crowd (sometimes my hip gets so arthritic that I can barely walk). I try to appreciate my youth as much as possible because I know that even with my current issues, I'm still in far better shape than I will be 30 or 60 years from now. But the slow, unending ticking of that clock never seems to leave my ear.
August 10, 2022, 7:54 PM · Amazing individual who did not allow his disability to slow him down.
From Wikipedia:
"Adrian Anantawan is a Canadian violinist. Anantawan, who began studying violin at age nine, has performed with the Toronto Symphony Orchestra[1] and at the White House.[2] He is an alumnus of the Etobicoke School of the Arts in Canada, the Curtis Institute of Music in Philadelphia, Yale University and the Harvard Graduate School of Education.[3] Growing up in the neighbourhood of Clarkson, in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, he attended St. Christopher's Elementary School, and is a member of the St. Christopher's Church Parish. He is currently a member of the Anne-Sophie Mutter Foundation[4] and is Director of Music at the Conservatory Lab Charter School in Boston as well as Milton Academy."
August 15, 2022, 2:12 PM · As an elderly person (life-long amateur violinist, retired in my profession, but in the last couple of years no longer playing the violin), I can certain sympathize with the overwhelming challenges we all face as we grow older.

But I am also reminded of some (both famous and some of us ordinary folk) who just don't seem to reflect their age. I am thinking of Nathan Milstein, whom I saw in recital at the very last concert he ever gave in Chicago (and he was 80 at the time). It is no exaggeration to say that his performance was spectacular and inspiring, from every point of view. And one of the pieces was the Bach Partita with the Chaconne, which was beyond incredible - musically, technically, and emotionally.

But, there will never, ever be anything wrong with giving it your best, no matter what the outcome. It's one of those things that can make any performance inspiring.

August 15, 2022, 9:34 PM · The weekly lessons keep me looking forward and not feeling sorry for myself.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis
International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Virtual Sejong Music Competition
Virtual Sejong Music Competition

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Shopping Guide
Violinist.com Shopping Guide

Metzler Violin Shop

Bein & Company

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Los Angeles Violin Shop

String Masters

Bobelock Cases

Things 4 Strings LLC

Violin-Strings.com

Viola-Strings.com

Baerenreiter

Fiddlerman.com

FiddlerShop

Sleepy Puppy Press

Jargar Strings

J.R. Judd Violins, LLC

Southwest Strings

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe