Watch the Indianapolis Competition Livestream

PDF of Leopold Auer's Graded Course of Violin Playing

Edited: August 8, 2022, 9:21 PM · Hi everyone. I always hear about Auer's graded books for violin, but here in Brazil there isn's any bookstore selling it, i must buy internationally. Problem is, if i buy each of the 8 books this will cost me almost 500 dollars because of taxes, shipping costs and the very high difference between US and Brazilian money values (USD x BRL)
So i ask you: does any one have a pdf of at least the first 4 books (1st position)? if not, could someone who have the books make a pdf for me? i could pay for the work, i really want to know auer's method of teaching presented in those books! but 500 dollars (or even 200 dollars in 4 books) is too much for me. i hope someone can help me. thanks in advance!

Replies (19)

August 8, 2022, 9:32 PM · First of all, it would be helpful if you could give us the EXACT title you are looking for. I found a book called "Violin Playing As I Teach It" by Auer, but it's only one volume. The table of contents includes
1. How I studied the violin
2. How to hold the violin
3. How to practice
4. Tone production
5. Hints on bowing
etc. Altogether it's 260 pages. As far as I know this material is in the public domain. I was able to obtain a PDF.
August 8, 2022, 9:42 PM · Have you checked eBay? I see it for sale there (the hard copy version).

Edited: August 8, 2022, 9:52 PM · @Paul Deck:
The name is in the title. "graded course of violin playing", it's the "normal" method, by sheet music, new techniques, you advance playing what is shown, etcetera. this another book "Violin playing as i teach it" is more of a treatise, it's just plain text, not a regular method like the other.

@Raymond Concannon:
the vast majority is about $20 each book and don't ship to brazil! it's a shame such great book doesn't have availability in some countries :(

Maybe these books are not on public domain, or just no one cared to publish it online... even imslp doesn't have it, just that one "violin playing as i teach it"

Edited: August 8, 2022, 10:12 PM · On a side note, a worse case happens with William Henley's violin method books 11 & 12. just the first ten books are online on imslp. it just DOESN'T exist the other two books, not online, neither on any store in the galaxy. if someone have these last 2 books too, please let me know...
August 8, 2022, 10:20 PM · Diego please send me an email.
August 8, 2022, 11:33 PM · Diego - just a heads up. Those books won't teach you his Teaching methods, it is just material to help the teacher, and is not really as complete as you might think.
If you want to get understand his method you should get the book Paul recommended: Violin Playing As I Teach It, and perhaps the Maia Bang books to compliment it.
And remember, Auer probably never taught beginners or first position.
Edited: August 9, 2022, 8:03 AM · I would be willing to buy it on eBay and ship it to Brazil myself, so long as the balance, including anticipated shipping, plus a 10% markup, was pre-paid to my Venmo account. Alternatively I could cut the bindings off with my band saw and scan the books directly to PDF.
August 9, 2022, 9:37 AM · @Gabriel Soloff
Ok, i will send you an email, check your inbox!

@Mattias Eklund
I know. i have dozen of violin method, and i just like to know how each instructor make his material from beginner to advanced. I have some students learning with me, and the material i got is valuable for me, so i learn a little more each new book i read. and i already read Auer's Violin playing as i teach it (very good, indeed!) and i gone though Maia Bang's first 3 books.
Maybe Auer didn't taught beginner, but his first 4 books are just for them. Valuable material there.

@Paul Deck
That is the problem: the price converted to Brazilian Real is VERY, VERY high. 1 Dollar = 5,50 BRL, so it's very bad for me to pay full price. That's why i wish someone have the books already, without the need to buy each one paying that much. but thanks anyway!

August 9, 2022, 2:27 PM · You can buy the books, used, on eBay for a fraction of the cost.

The first two books are pretty good for getting started as they combine both musical pieces and etudes.

By the time you start the third book, I think it doesn't work as well.

I think Suzuki, supplemented by etude studies, work as well or better.

August 9, 2022, 4:07 PM · I only have the 7th book of the 8-book Auer series. This book has 74 pages. This book is described as "Difficult Grade (Advanced Bowing)." The 8th and final book in the series is described as "Virtuoso Grade."

To use this book and others like it the teacher would need a full library of the printed works of many (maybe all) previous pedagogues because many sample exercises herein are presented as only one printed line with reference to the original source.

I know why I bought this book, I just don't remember when or where. I bought it new and I've had it for a long time (the retail price for books 3 - 8 are printed on the cover as $1.50 each, and $1.25 for books 1 & 2).

If the earlier books are anything like this I would agree with Carmen's final sentence but Suzuki books come nowhere near this level.

August 9, 2022, 9:02 PM · The approach laid out in the Auer books is completely different from the Suzuki approach. The entire first book of Auer is devoted to open strings, with various rhythms and bowings, and lots of duets. Whether or not Auer ever taught from this method, it presumably gives his thoughts on teaching very beginners or perhaps encapsulates the general thoughts on the subject at the time. I also have a book of progressive duets by Wohlfarht, a contemporary of Auer's, which begins with just open strings for the student, gradually introducing each finger, different keys, rhythms, etc. I have used this a lot with my kids and to me it is more logical than the Suzuki sequence.
August 9, 2022, 9:11 PM · Agreed. The open strings approach makes a lot of sense.
August 9, 2022, 10:21 PM · Twinkle in Suzuki Book 1 is roughly half open strings. Just saying.
Edited: August 10, 2022, 5:24 PM · Kids who start violin with the Suzuki method begin with open string Tonalization and bowing rhythms before they even get to Twinkle.

And while the concept of gradually introducing each finger sounds nice, putting down the first three fingers together on the A string in bar three of Twinkle helps establish the hand frame.

Of course, it all has to adapted to fit the cognitive and physical needs of the beginners, as the development of children in the single digit ages accounts for drastic differences even from kids only a few months apart in age.

August 10, 2022, 9:20 PM · Paul, it's the other half that are the problem! :)

Gene, I think your last sentence is key. I'm not a teacher so my sample size is what I've seen with my own two kids, but I think something more approaching the old progressive approach might be better. That said, I think so much comes down not just to the individual students but also individual teachers.

Edited: August 12, 2022, 12:56 AM · Suzuki's books are more 'relaxed' in technique, because each piece are not composed with pure technique 100% of the time (i'm meaning the new technique being showed on the piece, of course every piece is the sum of many techniques). on the other side, Auer's books (or any other book of this kind) is very technique specific, so i think these books can do a lot more than just suzuki's pieces. you play the specific technic maybe 4, 5 times on each piece, and as many times as you want on the method books, because the exercises are strictly THE technique in question, without "filler" parts like the nature of pieces from suzuki's books. you can repeat just the part with the technique, but here you can have just 1 variation, and in some violin methods there are lots and lots of variation of each technique (and on many there's the application on repertorie). so suzuki books can teach you the music, and not every time you will be able to play other piece (infinite variations of the technique are harder when you just learn 4 or 5 on a piece), and method books teaches the technique for you to play the music, any music which uses the techniques you learnt, possibly numerous variations. i personaly use the suzuki books just as a repertorie book. for technique i use Maia Bang, Kuchler and Joachim's method books (along with various etudes, of course).
Edited: August 12, 2022, 5:49 AM · Diego, you say in your bio that you have concentration problems; and you already have a lot of material. I think your concentration problems may get worse if you acquire Auer too (I had his one-volume book once. I got far less from it than from Galamian's Principles).
August 12, 2022, 7:55 AM · Thanks for the advice, but i want the books just for knowledge, i will not go through everything there with the violin, i will read it, not play it with my violin. i will use it to get more knowledge from the masters, the way exercises evolve, what comes next and the importance of each technique he presents to the student, so i can enrich my own teaching to my pupils.
Edited: August 13, 2022, 12:25 PM · I have used these books as a very rich resource in my teaching.
I would never use Vol.1 without mixing in Vol.2.
I doubt if Auer ever taught beginners! His famous students were already very accomplished violinists.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis
International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Virtual Sejong Music Competition
Virtual Sejong Music Competition

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Shopping Guide
Violinist.com Shopping Guide

Metzler Violin Shop

Bein & Company

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Los Angeles Violin Shop

String Masters

Bobelock Cases

Things 4 Strings LLC

Violin-Strings.com

Viola-Strings.com

Baerenreiter

Fiddlerman.com

FiddlerShop

Sleepy Puppy Press

Jargar Strings

J.R. Judd Violins, LLC

Southwest Strings

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe