Watch the Indianapolis Competition Livestream

Any idea for a case? (see post details)

July 28, 2022, 6:48 AM · Any ideas for a violin case with the following specs?

- made of policarbonate or similar (not carbon fiber)
- can hold 4 bows (not reversed with hair above)
- perfect suspension system with NON movable neck support (like BAM, etc)
- weight <=6 lbs
- "human" priced

Thanks for eventual suggestions.

Replies (56)

July 28, 2022, 5:10 PM · The only two polycarbonate cases I know of are the Gewa pure and bam supreme cases but you’ve already said you don’t want a moveable neck support which eliminates the Gewa pure and the requirement that it be human priced eliminates the bam. The bam supreme cases don’t have a moveable neck support.

Since you don’t want carbon fiber (don’t blame you I wouldn’t either) that leaves fiberglass. For fiberglass there are the Howard core CC450 cases and the tonareli oblong cases. They both meet all your requirement although you’d have to check and see if the suspension is “perfect” but I know someone with a Tonareli viola oblong case and the suspension in it is quite good. Her viola doesn’t touch the back of the case at all. Both have 4 bow holders and weigh under 6lbs and are quite affordable. On Greatviolincases.com the Tonareli is $296 and the Howard core is $239. There’s also some fiberglass cases from Bobelock but they aren’t going to be under 6lbs.

Is there a reason you don’t want a wooden case?

July 28, 2022, 7:12 PM · Thanks for you reply, Christian.

In fact i omitted to say that i should concentrate only in cases that are available in Europe...... It's not this easy to buy a thing like a case, from overseas........
I already have a wooden Bobelock 1047 puffy (only 2 bows, and weight is starting to be too much, when i have to walk with it), and it was a trouble to get it, some 6 years ago. Recently i was interested in another Bobelock oblong case and i found no (i mean NO) USA seller that would ship to Italy within reasonably costs. And Bobelock is not imported in Europe, as far as i know.

Anyway, i decided i want to try something different and lighter than wood, yet protective, also for climate changes (very important).

Note: after i opened this thread, a friend showed to me that a Gewa Air 2.1 has the unmovable neck support i was searching. The Gewa Pure instead had the velcro movable neck cushion, that i reject.

So, i started evaluating this Air 2.1 ....... It could fit my needs. I still have to understand if the backpack straps (i never strap a case in the back) can be converted in one only lateral strap, as i'm used to.
I'll research for info and reviews.

Thanks, greetings.

July 28, 2022, 9:36 PM · Half an hour of outdoor walking with my old BAM plastic case raised the internal temperature 20 degrees. Not ideal at all. The plastic cases (including polycarbonate) have very little thermal insulation.

You can shop around and find lighter wooden cases but they aren’t as cheap as some of the lower end plastics….for a reason.

July 28, 2022, 11:34 PM · The GEWA Air cases are quite nice and ought to fit the criteria.
July 28, 2022, 11:44 PM · Yes, the Gewa Air 2.1 does have the nomovable neck support I just didn’t mention it because it was more expensive than the Gewa pure case and didn’t know what you meant by human priced. I own one and it’s quite a nice case and super light. I don’t feel that my violin isn’t protected in it, however I did just place an order for a Musafia case for my new violin. I figure despite it’s higher price it will probably be the last case I ever buy with the included lifetime warranty. Unless of course, I buy another violin. Wood in my experience just insulates against weather and humidity changes better than plastic and polycarbonate. However, I understand wanting a lighter case I also have a Bam La Defense for my other violin in addition to my Gewa Air. That’s why when I finally decided to order a Musafia case I opted for the Luxury Ultralight Musafia. It weighs 5.5lbs which is VERY light for an oblong wooden case.

Edited: August 4, 2022, 5:38 AM · Thanks for all the replies.

I want to say: ok..... who would not prefer a Musafia case?...... if it was "not so highly priced" [EDITED :) ] and had "normal direction" hanging bows system?.... :D :D

Seriously, i like the fact that in the Gewa Air there's all that space made of "air" around the violin, inside. In my opinion that could help to isolate from heat/cold better than other types of polyplastic materials......

So, Christian: where i live i can get a Gewa Air (with subway handle) for just some less than 500 euro.
Seen that you own one i could ask you some things, then.
There are aspects i need to clear:

1- when you put it down in the floor, in a normal case position, handle up, is it quite stable or does it tend to fall on its side?

2- can you arrange one of the back straps to function like a "side strap" for hanging the case on one shoulder and keep the case on your side? I read that one of the strap locks can be attached to the subway handle.
Does it work?

3- does the lid close well, sealing the inside, or not?
And is there enough space for the bridge to not touch the lid? It's my constant fear.....

May thanks.
Greetings.

Edited: July 29, 2022, 6:20 AM · If you can live without the two extra bows (and an extra 500 Euros), Timms sells a shaped case. They're British, and therefore not quite so worried about climate changes as Musafia, who sell beyond the temperate drizzly weather of the UK.
Still, if you want to get good insulation without buying a Cushy cover or similar, you're probably looking at wood and not fiberglass or similar. And theirs is absurdly svelte and light.
Alternatively, the new Lievissima from Musafia is allegedly much cheaper than their flagship models, and also very light at 4.2 lbs. I see on Google that someone sells them for 600 Euros. Wait until the factory sells some display models and you might do even better.
July 29, 2022, 7:20 AM · 4 bows is a lot.
July 29, 2022, 10:11 AM · Sometimes these discussions make me laugh. Marco said he needs room for four bows. Therefore I conclude that he needs room for four bows. He also wants the hair to be "down" on all four bows when he opens the case. These "needs" may seem arbitrary, but I don't see why Marco should have to explain them all to us. A very slight lengthening of the case or not too much rounding of the corners (one of Musafia's tricks?) will make the difference whether you can put your bow in the way you want.

I chuckled at the question about whether the case will tip over easily when it's resting normally on the floor, handle up. If the case is thin then the external buttons will be closer together and it will be easier to tip the case. The overall balance of the case matters too (center of mass). My cases are Bobelock and they're pretty tall, so they don't tip over easily -- UNLESS I put a lot of music into the sleeve. Then they can't stand up at all.

July 29, 2022, 10:29 AM · Thanks Paul :D
Everything originates from the fact that i want to carry with me 4 bows.....
Otherwise i didn't even start my research.....

July 29, 2022, 1:06 PM · I think the Levissima oblong starts around $800 directly from Musafia which is about €780. No contoured or shaped case holds 4 bows which is why I only recommended oblong cases.

Marco I’ll double check my gewa air for your inquires when I get home, but from memory the case stays up when you lay it on it’s side much better than my Bam. I use one strap across my shoulder all the time, but I don’t think it has a d ring in the conventional spot for that I just keep it on the backpack setting and use one strap but I’ll check where all the d rings are. I haven’t tried putting a strap where the subway handle is yet I’ll have to try that. When I close the lid it seals quite well and in my experience it does better in heat than my Bam case. Only issue is humidity but I use a stretto humidifier when the humidity drops in the winter and I’ve never had any problems it works really well. The bridge doesn’t contact the case and I have a Bergonzi pattern Violin.

July 29, 2022, 1:10 PM · My contoured case only holds two bows, and only in a certain order, as the Coda is about 2mm longer than the Delille, lol!
July 29, 2022, 2:09 PM · If the case is in a nylon or other fabric case-cover then you can have the d-ring wherever you want, you just need to find someone to sew it on for you, or you have to figure out how to put on a fabric loop with some kind of adhesive. (Then you have to trust the adhesive, yes.)

You don't want to be on your Vespa and have your strap-loop fail. I mention this because I am often traveling around town on my moped (a 50-cc Honda), but I found that I can use a bungee cord to strap the case to the fairing and off I go.

https://youtu.be/wYUMf6GXs9s

July 29, 2022, 4:13 PM · Thanks, Christian.
The Air is starting to be the right candidate.... :)
Edited: August 3, 2022, 1:18 AM · @Marco, just a question: why is hanging a bow by the stick and not by the hair, in your opinion, abnormal?

Hanging the bow by the hair reduces wear on the stick (which, unlike the hair, isn't usually replaced every now and then), eliminates rosin build-up on the tip holders, and allows for a more elastic hold that may save your bow in case of accident.

At least, that was what bow makers I consulted with suggested when I started designing my first cases, so my choice is not arbitrary. Your thoughts?

August 3, 2022, 10:34 AM · Dear Dimitri,

the elastic hold you mention will surely (also without many tests :) ) cause some "scrolling down" of rosin whenever the lid is open and closed.

But, mainly, i'll never want a bow resting for most of the time on hairs only, because, with time going, hairs will be stressed and once in the life the wood block at the tip will come out. And even if this does not happen, i don't want my bow hairs to be stressed every time i open and close the lid.

I don't care much if someone suggested to you this: if you think well on it, it's illogical....... :)

Do you want to preserve the wood stick in that point? Make a holder with the softest material you come across, in that point, so wood will never be endangered..... :)

August 3, 2022, 11:37 AM · Let's all agree to meet back here on August 3, 2122 and compare results-

OR

I have 6 bow holders in my violin/viola double case; because of the contours of the case lid I have 3 viola bows in the upper positions hanging by their hair and 3 violin bows lower and supported on the sticks.
My heirs can determine which survive better. I know I will not last long enough to see a difference!

Edited: August 4, 2022, 4:58 AM · @ Marco, the suggestion behind my decision came from professional bow makers, so there must be some actual knowledge behind their opinions. Regarding the bow spinners, I do make them out of soft rubberized plastic, and the rotors have an oval profile such as not to catch the bow hairs.

That said, you'll probably find that if you opt for an atelier-made case (Riboni, Timms, etc) instead of an industrial product they will arrange the bow to fit however you wish. I've even made cases where the bow spinners are on the left and the bow tips on the right!

And an atelier-made case won't have those terrible hard plastic bow tip holders whch just invite scratches either.

PS. You might want to edit your comment that Musafia cases are unhumanly priced. Unlike most industrial case manufacturers that make lower priced products, I pay my employees "human" wages and am happy to do so because they deserve it.

August 4, 2022, 5:37 AM · Dimitri, you wrote:
"You might want to edit your comment that Musafia cases are unhumanly priced"

I'm sorry if you took offense from that, anyway i think that in reality some atelier cases and violins and bows and rosins etc have a price that from a player's standpoint it can't be understood.
Accepted: yes. It is accepted, and payed. But not understood, at least by me .... :)

The market's laws dictate it, so it's proposed and thus accepted.

Edited: August 4, 2022, 8:47 AM · @ Marco, it's not a question of market laws dictating anything, sorry. A part of the market is able to recognize and appreciate value, while others look only at price.

When a famous name industrially-made case is offered at $1,200, which I know is assembled in China (but claimed to be made in a EU country) and which I myself can purchase wholesale for half that price, and that the wholesaler probably pays a third of that price, it's self-evident that the end client (musician)is not getting what he/she is paying for.

But when you purchase an artisan product from, say, Riboni or Timms, you're not paying for containerships or customs or wholesalers or by-the-square-foot advertising. You're buying value, and so what if they charge $40 an hour. My IP lawyer in D.C. charges ten times that, and couldn't make a violin case if his life depended on it.

"Price is what you pay, but value is what you get" (Sergio Marchionne). "Nowadays many people know the price of everything, and the value of nothing." (Oscar Wilde)

August 4, 2022, 9:58 AM · Dimitri,
there will be a reason why i drive a Seat Ibiza and not a Maserati ... :)
And i go in all places that a Maserati can reach, and within the same speed limits.... :)

---
"There's no price for letting my hair facing up in a violin case" (Sergio Marchionne)

August 4, 2022, 11:16 AM · Marco,

Just because you don't see value in these cases doesn't mean others don't. What we pay for is handmade craft, intellectual development of instrument protection, supporting a small business, and a beautiful product. It's no different than anything else one spends money on. If you say that's too expensive for your needs/tastes, no argument. Saying something is inhumanly expensive is a judgement call across the board.

Discuss the theoretical designs you have in your head to your heart's content, but I would suggest refraining from denigrating brands/makers.

Edited: August 5, 2022, 4:45 AM · hi Dimitri - why do you provide a comparison of cold thermal insulation between the Lievissima and a carbon fiber case - but not one for heat? It seems to me that heat protection is more important - as I understand it, too low temperature are not good but I think they have to be sudden and extreme to cause a lasting damage. Too hot and the glue melts leaving you with an IKEA 'some assembly required' instrument.
August 4, 2022, 11:31 AM · No, sirs, let's clear things:
i'm not denigrating anyone's work.

I'm saying that there is the kind of person who needs the value, whatever form it is, of a manual laboured product. I believe that Salvatore Accardo is much more the kind of artist that uses a Musafia rather than a Gewa.
And has to !

I've never said that a Musafia case is a bad product. Maybe it's really the best case on the planet. The same for other top producers.

I'm only saying that i, as a non international famous player, don't need the "name" behind a product. I need a protective and well made case that won't fall in piece after 3 years.
My Bobelock 1047 seems to be built like a bunker.......

The fact that i'm going on with this hilarious thing of the hairs facing up (do you all see the emotycons?....) is because i will never want to hold my bows in that way, see above.

If Dimitri Musafia (to whom, between parenthesis, i could write in our native italian language, and so explain ourselves even better :) ) in the future will have some second hand tropicalyzed 4-bows case that won't cost me an eye, modified for holding bows with hair down, i will seriously consider it..... :)

August 4, 2022, 5:27 PM · I have a Bobelock too - not only is it built to withstand like a bunker, it also weighs about the same. I use it to store my #2 violin.
August 4, 2022, 10:21 PM · Dimitri, have you run across anyone making particularly well-made cello cases? My daughter will be needing a new case before long, and I'm not sure anything like Musafia Riboni and Timms exists for cellos, just BAM and Gewa. Accord was the thing a while back but the one older one I've seen seemed to favor lightness over all else, and didn't age too well. Of course cello cases are a different animal.
Edited: August 5, 2022, 12:59 AM · @ Stan, my understanding from a prominent cello maker is that Accord cases are still the best out there.

@ Elise, indeed the majority of the testing I've done regards the behavior of cases in hot weather conditions. We are in the process of redoing our website, that's the reason the current one is missing the hot weather graphs. But if you email me at info@musafia.com I'll send them to you and you'll find they are rather interesting indeed.

@ Marco, carissimo, a dire il vero sono di madrelingua inglese ma mi pregio di esprimermi decentemente nell'idioma italico, nonché un po' nel dialetto locale. Per quanto riguarda l'auto, guido una smart elettrica. Saluti!

Edited: August 5, 2022, 2:11 AM · @ Dimitri Pappas, thank you for your kind comment, but no I didn't take offence.

What does bother me though is that so often people don't realize what's behind a low price: often child labor, slave-like work hours, miserable pay, sometimes even forced labor. It's rather obvious that a product entirely made in the EU, where such labor practises are outlawed, is going to cost more than one made in China. Price comparison on this plane is simply useless.

I'm no Communist (I have a subscription to the WSJ...) but I do believe in workplace ethics and profit-sharing despite owning a business myself. And, in certain fields at least, it pays off in terms of product quality, minimal worker turnover and absenteeism, higher productivity and general quality of life within the atelier.

And, to conclude, a word of caution. Cases advertised as made in a EU country, quite often, are simply finished there while actually having been made in places like Thailand and China. Otherwise, obviously, these companies wouldn't have factories there.

EU legislation allows that if a product is made elsewhere but "transformed" in, say, Germany, it qualifies as "Made in Germany". "Transforming" is defined as adding components that change the use of the product: such as, simply screwing a handle onto an otherwise finished case, so you can carry it.

Edited: August 5, 2022, 6:44 AM · "So often people don't realize what's behind a low price: often child labor, slave-like work hours, miserable pay, sometimes even forced labor."

We realize it. But the sad truth is that slave-made products are almost inescapable, at least in American stores. As I'm writing this I'm doing my morning regimen of eye-drops for glaucoma. Imagine a little bottle containing less than one milligram of a drug dissolved in a couple of milliliters of saline, and it's $200 for the name brand, but only $12 for the generic. Where is the generic drug made ... somewhere in India? How about the bottle? (And probably this is true of the name-brand drug, too.)

I own a Bobelock case. I don't know where it was made -- probably somewhere in southeast Asia. Even if it was assembled in the US, the materials and parts -- fabrics, fittings, hinges, zippers, buttons -- who knows where they might have been made and by whom. This is true of almost everything we buy. There will be, at minimum, some little plastic component that's churned out by a bespoke injection-molding factory using slave labor. I have never heard a viable solution to this long-standing global problem.

If Dimitri can claim that his cases are made entirely according to first-world labor standards, including all the materials, fabrics, hardware, etc., then I'll set a higher priority on budgeting one.

Edited: August 6, 2022, 2:21 AM · @ Paul, I hear you, and living in a country where there is socialized medicine (the horror, the horror...) I would get those eye drops probably for free, and I do have glaucoma in my family tree so I'm looking out for that.

That said, since you're curious, my employees get 13 months of pay every 12, six weeks of paid vacation each year, five months (minimum) paid maternity leave, and paid sick leave. This is all by law. I've added profit sharing to boost a sense of community within the atelier. These are no doubt better pay conditions than many first world countries, but they allow a product like mine to exist.

My velvets come from the UK (after my Italian supplier went bankrupt after more than a century on the market), the wood laminate from Italy as are all the hardware and plastic parts and components, Cordura, even the leather.

A great number of parts and components are custom-made for us by Italian manufacturers: bow spinners, string tube clips, brass feet, hygrometers and thermometers, nameplates, leather neck ties, etc.

The only imported parts are the zippers (YKK - Japan) and my latches, which are American, although they are made in Taiwan; can't escape that, they're in my opinion the best on the market. I hope the factory doesn't get bombed during China's military exercises.

BTW. Bobelock cases are made in the Phillipines by Steve Bobelock and his staff. I don't know if he's still around (he would be rather elderly by now) but he was the original owner of American Case Company in L.A.. By all accounts he is a great guy.

Edited: August 5, 2022, 9:26 AM · I know it's not what Mr. Brancalion wishes for, but my second-hand, worn-canvas cover, old style Aeternum feels immune to most common hazards-any bumps, I think nothing of them. It has not fallen yet, and I do not think it sane it to test it (unless you are the manufacturer, to test product durability), but I honestly feel it will last for a lifetime.

That for me makes these cases more than worth the "inhumane" price. Further, one can always find a few discounted models from their own website. I myself am not well-off, but feel the investment has more than paid off (I used to have to buy affordable to mid priced cases every few years because they would get so worn of fall apart here or there-only the canvas is worn, and I feel I can use it as is even then like "forever".)

Edited: August 5, 2022, 9:41 AM · Now i'm the one who will be remembered for being anti-Musafia, but it's not the "case" ....... :)
August 5, 2022, 9:56 AM · If there is a deficit in the budget, perhaps a lightly-used case being offered from the classifieds is the answer. I've seen some pretty good ones on Craigslist.
August 5, 2022, 9:56 AM · Mr. Brancalion,

I do not think you are anti-Musafia-just have your own beliefs. Hope you do find something that works for you, and sorry I cannot really help.

Was just trying to chime in and state a word on these cases' value over time.

Happy playing.

Edited: August 5, 2022, 11:05 AM · "Nowadays many people know the price of everything, and the value of nothing." (Oscar Wilde)

There's something to said for nothing. Less clutter I suppose.

Edited: August 5, 2022, 11:27 AM · Violin cases are like picture frames - they reflect the value of the contents. Someone who buys a painting for 5million will not hesitate to spend 50k framing it. Likewise, someone who buys a 50k violin should not really hesitate to budget 1k on a case, even if they do end up with a cheaper alternative. Those of us with a violin worth 3k and a bow worth 700 may wonder if the 1k could be better spent elsewhere.
August 6, 2022, 2:26 AM · Marco, you might want to look into Wiseman cases. They are artisan-made in the UK and I had a chace to see them at the last NAMM show. I was very impressed. Their bow placement is rather interesting too :-)

In any event they are extremely strong and lightweight wood laminate cases at a competitive price - take a look! Much better than any industrial case, and less expensive than many.

August 6, 2022, 5:12 AM · Is this a new model? Website has only very expensive carbon fiber cases.

https://wisemanlondon.com/product/carbon-fibre-violin-case-or-viola/

August 6, 2022, 5:36 AM · In the website i can see only carbon cases.......
August 6, 2022, 8:16 AM · Try writing to them. The violin cases I saw at the trade show were in wood laminate and if I remember correctly a price of £400 + VAT mentioned. Maybe they are a new product. If you write, feel free to mention my name.
August 6, 2022, 10:22 AM · Thank you for the info. I didn't know.

BTW: this is the first time in a long row that i won't be able to go to Mondomusica fair.... (concerts)...... damn.....

August 6, 2022, 6:19 PM · Ehm, Dimitri:
mr Wiseman was quick to reply to my inquiring email, with details and photos.

Aside the way of storing bows (Dimitri: birichino !! ;) ), the cost is 815 pounds. That is 966 euro.
So, well distant from the price tag you mentioned.......

August 8, 2022, 6:58 AM · Marco, sorry about that, mi dispiace. Have you looked into the Riboni UnoEOtto? It weighs 2.0 kg and should be in your price range... come on man, buy Italian!
August 9, 2022, 10:51 AM · Dimitri,

i replied in private, by email, yesterday.

August 12, 2022, 11:57 AM · My viola case is a Galaxy. I believe it is polycarbonate. I do not know if they are available in the EU. I don't recall if the bows can go in any direction or just one. It does have 4 bow spinners. I don't know if the violin one has the adjustable thing. For my viola, I need the adjustable. I got my case 50% off. I believe Galaxy is made in South Korea.
August 13, 2022, 4:30 PM · Hijacking this thread to ask: If you were buying a lightweight WOOD case, what would you choose? If you weren't buying a Musafia, of course. :-)

I continue to be pleased with my Enigma, and so I'm considering commissioning again, but I'm also pondering if I could find something satisfactory for less money. I want something that I can walk around with at outdoor festivals -- with a backup violin (not my valuable instrument) -- under the brutal summer sun in 90-degree-plus weather. Lightweight but good thermal protection. Going Riboni, Musafia, etc. means spending $500+. Ideally we'd be talking Bobelock type of money (under $300), not lovingly handcrafted Italian money.

August 13, 2022, 10:01 PM · I've owned a couple Musafia cases now, and have settled on the latest version of his Ultralight as I find myself walking a lot more with it since I moved to the east coast a couple years ago! Now that I contend with snow for part of the year, I appreciate just how big the handle is and how easy it is to carry the case even with gloves on. For my primary violin and bow, the cost is well-justified.

However, for my backup fiddle, I got myself a GEWA Pure shaped case for under $200. And it's the best "bang for the buck" I've found in terms of price/performance. The finish is very tough, the backpack straps work great, and and it doesn't mark up like the BAM cases which are 3-4 times the price when one bangs it on things. I got the one in white so walking around in the sun it doesn't trap as much heat as the black ones do. Lydia, you should check it out. :)

August 13, 2022, 11:27 PM · The GEWA Pure is polycarbonate, isn't it? Don't polycarbonate cases basically turn into pressure cookers when exposed to direct sunlight outdoors?
August 14, 2022, 1:33 AM · For under $300 I’d probably just get a Bobelock or one of the wooden cases from SHAR that fall under $300. Not sure if you could call those cases light though. I guess it depends on what you would call light for a wooden violin case. If I was going for light I’d be leaning towards one of the shaped cases and sacrificing storage space for a lighter case since most oblong offerings that aren’t the lightweight options from Musafia aren’t all that light.
Edited: August 14, 2022, 10:28 AM · I've walked around with it for a few hours at a time slung on my back in NYC, Saratoga Springs, and Boston this summer in direct sunlight and have not had any issues. The case is significantly smaller than even my Musafia Ultralight so more of it gets shielded by my body when carried:

August 22, 2022, 10:08 AM · For direct sunlight, car window tint film helps a great deal for "plastic" kind of case; a tip from a touring country fiddler who lives off a tint film wrapped white Calton case. Our summer outdoor case: White Gewa Air case wrapped with $20 walmart nano ceramic tint film. It keeps the internal temp rising slower than our Musafia and Bobelock-just my personal experience don't mean to start another war of wood vs non wood case. BTW this doesn't help in winter time, check out aerogel blanket if you're looking for light weight insulation.
August 22, 2022, 10:13 AM · Don't know exact specs, but the wooden Timms shaped case is even skinnier than that GEWA and featherweight compared to the Musafia. Expensive, of course, but you can't have everything!
August 23, 2022, 8:37 AM · The "skinnier" a case is, the less buffer it has between the instrument and crush or impact action. For this reason I believe straight-sided cases like dart-shape models are preferable to those that hug every inch of the instrument body.
Edited: August 23, 2022, 12:52 PM · It's a tradeoff. The most protective cases are usually the heaviest. The lightest cases might not be the strongest, or might be made of materials that can cause your instrument to overheat.

If I had 4 bows that I wanted to hang "just so" and I wanted to give my instrument the best protection on a budget, I'd carry a flat-sided wooden Bobelock oblong or half-moon case with an extra bow case strapped on. I might even glue velcro to both cases to stick the bow case to the main case.

A wheeled case with an extended handle like they make for carry-on luggage, or putting the case on a wheeled luggage cart would solve the weight problem of carrying a good, heavy case like a Musafia or Bobelock, but all the little bumbs and jolts encountered by the wheels would transfer to the instrument. That's not good.

Why doesn't someone invent a wheeled case or case cart that has effective shock absorbers? I think they'd have a _lot_ of customers, especially among viola players (*hint-hint-please-Dimitri*)

August 23, 2022, 3:43 PM · - I don't want wheels

- Bobelock cases are virtually unavailable in Italy. US sellers don't ship them or they apply very high shipping costs

- I don't want separate case (tube) for bows

August 24, 2022, 3:54 AM · Amrita, Musafia cases aren't all heavy, one Musafia model weighs 1.9kg or 4.18 lbs with Kevlar reinforcement, and our average case weighs 2.5 kg/ 5.5 lbs so I'd like to dispel this myth please!

Regarding the wheels issue, there was a case manufacturer (Tempo Cases) that tried it but they failed to sell. Now, if you can get one of those wheeled luggage carriers and then strap your case to it with copious foam rubber to dampen the shocks, you'll have resolved your problem rather economically.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis
International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Virtual Sejong Music Competition
Virtual Sejong Music Competition

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Shopping Guide
Violinist.com Shopping Guide

Metzler Violin Shop

Bein & Company

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Los Angeles Violin Shop

String Masters

Bobelock Cases

Things 4 Strings LLC

Violin-Strings.com

Viola-Strings.com

Baerenreiter

Fiddlerman.com

FiddlerShop

Sleepy Puppy Press

Jargar Strings

J.R. Judd Violins, LLC

Southwest Strings

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe