Watch the Indianapolis Competition Livestream

Violin case recommendations

July 25, 2022, 3:09 PM · Hi all,

I'm aiming to sell my violin and I want to get a new case for it. I don't want to go for the cheapest one but also don't want to spend a lot on it. I hope there are decent cases for around £40, can you recommend any? Thank you very much!

Replies (12)

Edited: July 25, 2022, 4:31 PM · I recommend the Embassy Courier cases from Shar. Very nicely arranged inside, solid, well-made case, not expensive, but more than L40. My daughter uses this case.

https://www.sharmusic.com/Shar-Embassy-Courier-Violin-Case

However, may be out-of-stock at the moment. You can call SHAR and ask when they think that might be available again.

If you are selling the instrument, just sell it. Let the person who buys the violin decide what kind of case they want. For £40 you're getting something made out of styrofoam.

July 25, 2022, 7:00 PM · I would highly recommend Bobelock cases. They cost somewhat more than L40 (about $200 or so), but are well worth what you pay. For L40, I am not sure you will find anything that is any good. Good luck!
July 25, 2022, 9:29 PM · I was waiting for someone else to say it. £40 is about $50 in the US. You aren’t going to find a decent violin case for that kind of money because like Paul said it’s going to be styrofoam. Even the Embassy Courier that he mentioned is about £132 but it’s made of wood. It’s currently in stock in red. I would also say to just sell the violin and let the buyer worry about getting a case for it.
July 26, 2022, 4:26 AM · Perhaps catch a violin student who is trading up.
July 26, 2022, 12:57 PM · I am also needing to buy a decent solid case, but my budget would go to $500, or whatever, really--my violin and bows are worth more than my car, so I need to get serious. The zippers on my old case cover are shredding, and the little latch in the middle is spotty. So, inspired by Tom Holzman, above, I just went to look at Bobelock cases--lots of options, and what of all these models is the most bombproof? It looks like the oblong fiberglass option (#1060) wins that prize, but I wonder what suggestions you all would have.
July 26, 2022, 2:35 PM · I think plywood beats fiberglass for the safety of your violin. I'm no expert, but I think even Musafia makes his cases out of plywood.
July 26, 2022, 4:46 PM · @Paul Smith - mine are undoubtedly made of plywood, since they are not light. I suspect Paul Deck is correct about plywood vs. fiberglass. However, I am not an expert. My violin and viola are worth collectively in the low five figures, and I think my Bobelocks are fine for any situations I can reasonably anticipate. I am not sure what sorts of situations drive your wish to have the most bombproof case in your price range. What, realistically, are you likely to face in terms of dangers to your instrument? This is probably not what you should be preparing for in terms of deciding which case to buy:

https://www.thestrad.com/what-happened-to-ginette-neveus-stradivari/6548.article

July 26, 2022, 4:54 PM · Since this is to be a "give-away" case, you might be able to find a good-enough one at a pawn or thrift shop.

Both Bobelock and Musafia cases are made of "layered" wood (I hesitate to call Musafia cases "plywood." At this time I have 2 of each.
Each brand has virtues:
Bobelocks are very good for the price,
Musafias are works of art and some unique design technology

July 27, 2022, 8:25 AM · When I bought my daugher's 3/4 violin at Kapeller's in Richmond, it wasn't a "kit" so I needed a case. Jane took me into the back rooms of the shop and showed me several clunky old disused cases and said I could have any one of them for $30 or such. She showed me an old Core oblong case with functioning zipper and latch, and we were done. That violin is still in that case, and it's perfectly happy there. I realize a violin case can be a work of art, but it can also just be a functional and fungible item. It doesn't HAVE to be special. The violin was real nice, it's a 3/4 Scott Cao 750. (Make an offer!)
July 27, 2022, 8:59 AM · I found a Protec case for $40 recently on Amazon warehouse. I think new they're maybe $75. If you check out facebook or craigslist someone may be selling an empty case. I also agree that it's totally find to sell a violin w/o case. Usually used non-professional violins have pretty low resale.
July 27, 2022, 10:51 AM · I appreciate the advice. It looks like the Bobelock 1017 is the way to go then. I have had two case failures in my gigging life, both which resulted in NO damage to the contents, thank goodness, but boy--that sure is scary. My heart rate goes up just recalling those moments. So that's where the "bombproof" part comes up for me. In both cases, it was a failure of latches, so I'm hoping that the latch on the 1017 is solid.
July 29, 2022, 11:40 AM · Thanks everyone!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis
International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Virtual Sejong Music Competition
Virtual Sejong Music Competition

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Shopping Guide
Violinist.com Shopping Guide

Metzler Violin Shop

Bein & Company

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Los Angeles Violin Shop

String Masters

Bobelock Cases

Things 4 Strings LLC

Violin-Strings.com

Viola-Strings.com

Baerenreiter

Fiddlerman.com

FiddlerShop

Sleepy Puppy Press

Jargar Strings

J.R. Judd Violins, LLC

Southwest Strings

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe