Watch the Indianapolis Competition Livestream

Michael Shakespeare, Blackheath

July 23, 2022, 5:37 AM · A few of us have recommended him on here, e.g.
https://www.violinist.com/discussion/thread.cfm?page=1217
But unfortunately Michael is now retired.

Replies (9)

July 23, 2022, 7:19 AM · Unfortunate for us, but I expect happily for Mr Shakespeare!
July 23, 2022, 3:28 PM · I'm looking forward to joining him. In retirement, that is.
Edited: July 23, 2022, 7:22 PM · Look forward without trepidation, Paul. The vicissitudes of COVID notwithstanding, and they seem to be receding into the past, I am finding the time relaxing, fruitful and enjoyable.
Edited: July 24, 2022, 7:16 AM · He was good. Fortunately, Antoni (Ruschil & Bailly) is just as much to be recommended. Best go there by public transport or bike, as parking can be dodgy.
Edited: July 27, 2022, 3:47 AM · Thanks for the recommendation of Antoni Rushil, John.
They have a refined website.
Unfortunately, their premises look a bit like a dump within a dump on Google Earth and Streetview. Can you elaborate?
Also a review website gives two 5 star reviews, but 3.8 overall.
Thanks
August 3, 2022, 10:32 AM · I'm pretty sure their premises are also Antoni's home, and it is fine once you get into the flat, not that different from Michael's. You do need to be able to climb stairs, though, to get there, a storey's worth of stone steps with metal handrail to the front door and and another storey's worth of carpeted stairs once you get inside. The cul de sac (Fairfield Gardens, not Fairfield Road) is the first on the left when you enter Elder Avenue from Topsfield Parade and second on the right when you enter from Weston Park. 35 Fairfield Gardens is a staircase on the left virtually at the end of the cul de sac.
I wouldn't be surprised if at some time Antoni were to move to more easily accessible premises!
Edited: August 3, 2022, 11:38 AM · Thanks for the reply, John.
My Breton is a Michael Shakespeare restoration, and I've had it about 2 years, so it's perhaps time for an MOT, but of course I can't get one from Michael, and, although I might well buy a violin from Bridgewood and Neitzert, I'm not sure I'd want to get a service from them.
Edited: August 17, 2022, 10:04 AM · Gordon, as you might have seen in previous posts of mine, I somewhat regret that I did.
But there are other luthiers in London that have been recommended on vst.com.
August 18, 2022, 2:52 PM · I prefered Rob Bray in Charlton - cheap and cheerful.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis
International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Virtual Sejong Music Competition
Virtual Sejong Music Competition

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Shopping Guide
Violinist.com Shopping Guide

Metzler Violin Shop

Bein & Company

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Los Angeles Violin Shop

String Masters

Bobelock Cases

Things 4 Strings LLC

Violin-Strings.com

Viola-Strings.com

Baerenreiter

Fiddlerman.com

FiddlerShop

Sleepy Puppy Press

Jargar Strings

J.R. Judd Violins, LLC

Southwest Strings

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe