Watch the Indianapolis Competition Livestream

Guillaume rosin and rosining frequency

Edited: July 22, 2022, 5:01 AM · I'm not very keen on how often I have to rerosin using Guillaume. I haven't measured it.

I suppose some people are happy to rosin once an hour, whereas I like to rosin once a week (slight exaggeration, but once a day should be enough).

So my favourites are Hill light and dark at the moment. And if I win the lottery I'll buy some of the Hill special de luxe that's new on the market.

Anyone got any views?

Replies (10)

July 22, 2022, 5:19 AM · I got a Guillaume rosin about 2 years ago and used quite a bit for a while.
I haven't used it from a certain moment on, because i don't think it "sticks" the way i like. In the first time i had an opinion, but i changed it during some time.

Maybe you write "often rerosing" because you don't like it the same way i did........

For a comparison: in winter time (dryer, northern Italy) i stick to my beloved Andrea/Cecilia Solo, that in summer is less effective.
Very lately i discovered the Cecilia Signature rosin: i REALLY like the way it grips, even in humid summer.
You could give it a chance, if you are not confortable with the Guillaume.

Edited: July 22, 2022, 11:08 AM · I have a violin that has moderate volume, so having a rosin that "sticks" is important. I have one rosin I like, which was recommended by an archetier who rehairs bows for me, and I always rosin my bows before use.

But when I want extra stick, I use Leatherwood "Crisp" Rosin for Violins. It really makes a difference above any rosin that I've used previously. It's expensive, but like any rosin, it will last for a very long time.

Given the high quality of Crisp, I recently ordered Leatherwood "Bespoke" Rosin for Violins, which is Leatherwood's moderate rosin. It will be interesting to compare it against the other two rosins that I have.

Note that, given the quantity of rosin that I use, I always clean my strings and violin with cloths before putting it away each evening.

Edited: July 22, 2022, 7:51 AM · Rosin thread! It's been, what, a week since the last one?

I use rosin sparingly, like Heifetz. A few swipes, maybe couple of times per year. Whenever I change strings.

Seriously, one time at my lesson I was struggling a little and my teacher asked me if I needed some rosin. I said "I'm trying to use less rosin." I didn't have the guts to tell him that my reasoning was because I had read on "violinist.com" that people were using rosin once a week, once a month, once a year, that kind of thing. My teacher gave me a "look" (over the top of his glasses, that kind of look) and said, "Paul, rosin your bow."

So ever since I have been using Bernardel, and plenty of it. Every day, and I practice an hour on good days.

But I only use Bernardel's "bespoke" rosin. LOL!

Edited: July 22, 2022, 8:32 AM · No, I envisioned a Guillaume thread, really - is it as good as it's cracked up to be? What determines your view of it? That kind of thing.

Perhaps a thread on Heifetz scales was overdue instead?

July 22, 2022, 10:18 AM · Well maybe Guillaume is terrific rosin but you just have to apply it more frequently. If the rosin is very hard it might not apply as much with the same number of swipes. Applying rosin once an hour gives you a chance to enjoy the sumptuous look and feel of the product's packaging.
Edited: July 22, 2022, 10:57 AM · Mr. Deck,

i saw many many times the behaviour of "dont' rosin too often !! rosin only a little bit !!! stop, it's enough" ..... but only among classical violinists and teachers....

All the folk violinists that i know (plenty) have a constant rosin bed under the strings and rosin every every time they pull out the violin :D

I'm in the middle road...... But, mostly, i learned with time that the procedure of rosining the bow determines the way it sticks, after.
For example, i rosin from above, with hairs facing up, the bow's tip firmly on a table or case or such. And i rosin with moderate force into little areas, and then spread rosin but pulling the cake softly. About 5-6 spots along the bow.

Greetings.

July 22, 2022, 11:05 AM · I really do love these discussions. That's what makes this community great.
Edited: July 22, 2022, 11:14 AM ·
Definitely shop talk, but it has its advantages.
Edited: July 22, 2022, 11:29 AM · I always wear dark trousers and if I think my sound is a bit off I check my bow's rosin status by wiping an inch or so of it an them on my thigh. If it looks too meager, I add a "swipe or two" of rosin in my usual manner.

If the rosin stain on my pants looks "strong" - I check my hearing aid.:)

It rarely occurs to me to check the rosin collected on my strings because I clean them every time I put an instrument in its case (or stand). However, if I have been playing a long session - maybe it's time to do that.

My favorite rosins are still Leatherwood, however I carry Cecilia Signature in my case (it was cheaper). My choice is usually Leatherwood CRISP, but I also have a SUPPLE cake (and can blend the two if I want - the mixing effect would be similar to using Andrea Sanctus rosin). I was first alerted to Leatherwood by an email from the maker (in Australia) but I resisted until he sent announced a half-price sale - then I bought both S and C cakes for violin, viola and cello. The all still work great. This was all before it was retailed in the US - (Flown to me in California by DSL via Frankfort - I always got a kick out of that awkward routing).

July 22, 2022, 12:18 PM · Once per playing session. I am not aggressive with cleaning rosin from the strings because it will get more rosin the next time you start to play.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis
International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Virtual Sejong Music Competition
Virtual Sejong Music Competition

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Shopping Guide
Violinist.com Shopping Guide

Metzler Violin Shop

Bein & Company

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Los Angeles Violin Shop

String Masters

Bobelock Cases

Things 4 Strings LLC

Violin-Strings.com

Viola-Strings.com

Baerenreiter

Fiddlerman.com

FiddlerShop

Sleepy Puppy Press

Jargar Strings

J.R. Judd Violins, LLC

Southwest Strings

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe