Watch the Indianapolis Competition Livestream

Any real experience with this baroque bow?

Edited: July 22, 2022, 5:00 AM ·
Sielam Acapella violin baroque bow

Any real experience with one of these? Please reply only in case "affirmative".
Not interested in "ask your luthier"|"ask you teacher"|"never seen one but", "i'm experienced and... " ...... etc.

Many thanks in advance.

Replies (21)

July 22, 2022, 3:14 AM · Doesn't look much different from Chinese ones selling for $50-70 on ebay
July 22, 2022, 4:36 AM · Mr. Taylor, as i wrote in the post i'm not interested into not informed answers, please.

July 22, 2022, 4:42 AM · No, I haven't any real experience with this baroque bow. A straight question deserves a straight answer.
July 22, 2022, 4:58 AM · Mr Jones, acute observation :)
I'll edit my original post.......
July 22, 2022, 7:06 AM · Actually I am a very well informed poster on the topic, whether you like it or not, what you show is a cheap Chinese bow tarted up and sold for roughly 6 times what it cost the company
July 22, 2022, 10:49 AM · Mr Taylor,
it's not important that you have an undisputed experience to bashing chinese products. I thank you for your interminable warnings on this stuff.

But i was interested into this particular (probably chinese) product because photos and reviews on the web seem to indicate a good weight, good balancing, and no excessive reversed camber.

So, it's no matter for me if it comes from china manufacturers, as long it'a a good product, as it seems to be, and probably better than average similar ones.

Note: ah, a thing if you can, please. I beg you:
don't reply to my posts, i thank you very much. If you can......

Greetings.

July 22, 2022, 10:57 AM · Marco you should compare it with others, though.
This one looks almost identical but it isn't: -
https://www.thestringzone.co.uk/baroque-violin-bow-in-snakewood-2
July 22, 2022, 11:25 AM · Weight is not the same.
July 22, 2022, 2:00 PM · Marco -
I do have this bow or one that is identical to this one that I purchased about 12 years ago from a dealer in the states. I really like it. It is on the light side but very stiff (and dense). It has a good tone and plays surprisingly well. If it is what I have I highly recommend it.
Paul
July 22, 2022, 6:08 PM · There is a misconception that there are many such bows. There is only one singular bow that is identical to the one that is for sale, and it is that bow itself.

I suspect no one here will have played THAT bow.

With factory made bows, some from the same batch are good, while others are not.

When buying a musical instrument, you want to try it out. That is the only way to truly evaluate it.

Now, sometimes we are tempted by inexpensive instruments online. Some are good and some are bad. It is a gamble.

Edited: July 23, 2022, 5:20 AM · You didn't say you weren't interested in philosophy, Marco!
July 23, 2022, 5:11 AM · Mr Berger, i know very well the difference between a particular instantiation and the platonic idea..... :)

Mr. Fehrenbach, thanks for sharing your experience.
Is your bow around 50g like this advertised one?
Thanks.

July 23, 2022, 6:39 AM · Marco - I apologize in advance for raising this question, but it seems to me it might be relevant ,and the answer is not evident from your previous responses. How much experience do you have with baroque bows? Is this one going to be the first, or have you already tried some? Ideally, you would want to have some basis for comparison, so if you have not tried some, it would seem to me that that might be useful. Again, apologies if I am off the mark.
Edited: July 23, 2022, 9:21 AM · Tom, your post if very much "on the mark". Thanks.

I currently own a chinese made baroque bow that surely weights more than 50g, and is too much unbalanced to the tip. And is not made of snake wood, even if advertised that way.
A twin one bought from the same identical ebay page is snake wood and lighter and better than mine.

I have used quite a bit my own BB, at home, recording, etc.

Recently i attended to a masterclass where i heard playing a lot of students and professor in the baroque style with appropriate violins strings and bows and everything. I had the chance to test their bows myself: someone chinese but well made, others made by contemporary luthiers (Italy).
So it was in that occasion that i understood very well that my own BB drifts significantly from these others, as balance, as sound, everything.

So, proper material and weight and balance seems to be what i'm looking for. I'm not interested into "certificates of non-chinesity" :)

Thanks, greetings.

Edited: July 23, 2022, 10:51 AM · Certificate of non-chinesity. I like that, very good. My first recent violin was Chinese and served me well for 2 1/2 years.
July 23, 2022, 10:52 AM · Marco asked: "Is your bow around 50g like this advertised one?"
Yes, Marco, my bow weighs exactly the same. That's one of the things that caught my eye about the bow you are looking at.
Paul
July 23, 2022, 8:39 PM · Thanks Paul.

In fact, today i ordered it..... :)
So, i'll do a review soon, if someone is interested..... :)

July 31, 2022, 1:40 PM · Two days ago the bow arrived. I rosined it quite well and played it.
After letting my teacher test it, he came to my same conclusion:
it sucks, but really sucks very greatly :D

The stick is too soft, weight a bit too much (52g) and a bit unbalanced towards the tip.

Playing with it is fatiguing, and you can never get a crispy sound.
When playing fast material, with fast bow changings, it really does not perform.
And, overall, i (and he) don't get any satisfactory impression by playing it.

I have already started the procedure for returning it :)

July 31, 2022, 2:18 PM · Maybe you need to try two or three different sets of strings and as many different kinds of rosin first ...
July 31, 2022, 2:45 PM · I’m sorry to hear that, Marco. I’m not at all surprised, but sorry nonetheless. I tried a Chinese import “baroque” bow a few years ago, and it “sucked” too. But we live and learn, don’t we?
July 31, 2022, 5:02 PM · Mark, it's very obvious that whe someone buys "ignote" instruments without testing them before it's all a matter of success/insuccess.

Three years ago my teacher bought a low cost baroque bow from ebay.co.uk, and it turned out to be quite exceptional. I bought the same item from the same seller after 2 weeks, and i got a different bow that is not exceptional at all. It's matter of luck, in this kind of purchases, i know very well.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis
International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Virtual Sejong Music Competition
Virtual Sejong Music Competition

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Shopping Guide
Violinist.com Shopping Guide

Metzler Violin Shop

Bein & Company

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Los Angeles Violin Shop

String Masters

Bobelock Cases

Things 4 Strings LLC

Violin-Strings.com

Viola-Strings.com

Baerenreiter

Fiddlerman.com

FiddlerShop

Sleepy Puppy Press

Jargar Strings

J.R. Judd Violins, LLC

Southwest Strings

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe