Watch the Indianapolis Competition Livestream

Spotify vs Apple Music for classical

Edited: July 18, 2022, 11:33 AM · For us, violin and classical music lovers, have you noticed a difference between these two services, regarding the amount of repertoire present?
I've read that Apple bought Primephonic, which used to be a dedicated classical streaming service, so Apple is supposed to have a wider classical catalogue. Has anyone here compared them, or have any experience finding recordings on one but not the other?

Replies (10)

July 18, 2022, 3:55 PM · IDAGIO is the best source for classical music in my opinion.
July 19, 2022, 2:25 PM · But IDAGIO is for classical only, I would have to pay for two separate services.
July 19, 2022, 3:46 PM · As far as I can tell, Apple killed off primephonic and they're not going to put up an actually comparable service. I don't know why every smaller company's final ambition is to be eaten by one of the giants.
July 19, 2022, 8:20 PM · Because it eliminates the competition for the higher corporations so they can control the market despite a lot of the smaller companies having a more desirable product. LG used to be in the smartphone game but other tech giants like Apple and Samsung sniffed them out so they’re focusing on their other products.
July 19, 2022, 11:24 PM · "I don't know why every smaller company's final ambition is to be eaten by one of the giants."

It's not. Every small company wants a "good exit", but most will settle for a profitable exit, and sometimes, merely a "soft landing" (i.e. nobody loses their job or suffers severe financial impact). I'm going to guess Primephonic's exit was a soft landing.

July 20, 2022, 12:22 AM · Well yeah, I kind of know the reasons they may want to sell, it's just a sad reality that this means a few companies gradually accumulate the lion's share of successful services... services these companies can mismanage without much risk to themselves. YouTube can gradually increase their ad-rate to more than used to be the case on TV rendering it almost unwatchable (luckily, for now, they haven't made it impossible for certain browsers to block the ads, but I imagine that will change.)

Anyway, I'm sorry for the derailment!
Unfortunately I don't know the answer the the original question to make up for it. I just went back to YouTube with blocked ads since Primephonic's murder.

Edited: July 20, 2022, 7:16 AM · @Urban Krista, but as far as I could tell, Apple does have all Primephonic's music on their service. That's why I suspect maybe they have more than Spotify.
July 20, 2022, 7:45 AM · @Jacob Frye
Yes, I believe they acquired all of primephonic's catalogue. Just downgraded the organisation. So I'd guess they have a better selection than spotify, but I don't really know.
July 25, 2022, 8:50 AM · I've been checking it out a little, for example with Chopin's nocturne in C-Sharp Minor, the arrangement for violin and piano, Apple Music has more versions from more violinists, which are not present in Spotify. It's probably the general rule. Will be sticking to Apple Music.
July 25, 2022, 3:49 PM · I use Spotify. I don't do Apple anything. All that might change if I decide to go the iPad route with Forscore for music.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis
International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Virtual Sejong Music Competition
Virtual Sejong Music Competition

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Shopping Guide
Violinist.com Shopping Guide

Metzler Violin Shop

Bein & Company

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Los Angeles Violin Shop

String Masters

Bobelock Cases

Things 4 Strings LLC

Violin-Strings.com

Viola-Strings.com

Baerenreiter

Fiddlerman.com

FiddlerShop

Sleepy Puppy Press

Jargar Strings

J.R. Judd Violins, LLC

Southwest Strings

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe