Music for violin and electronic music

Edited: May 8, 2022, 12:07 PM · https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HM77DJIfP0Y

Hi,
above you find one of my favorite pieces that I myself played twice, 3 years ago. (It is not me in that video).

This is absolutely my music! It is a challenge to play with a firm track instead of a person, but I enjoyed it to play as freely as possible within that strict frame. There are just a few microtonal parts, which makes for a surreal experience, and one section with 5 beats per bar that always start faster and slow down at a very certain rate.
After I had really studied it well, I felt absolutely free as if it were a partner to play with. The music came with a CD, and I only needed a device and a pair of big speakers for the performance. No extra technician needed, besides someone to press the play button.

Anyway, I see this is a matter of taste, of course, but I have always loved this style of the early electronic music from about 60 years ago, and the combination of firm synthetic sound tracks with live instruments.

And now I wonder, if there is more like this for violin +CD.

However, I simply don’t know how to search for this - whenever I google electronic music and violin, I come across Lindsay Stirling and similar styles. I have no idea how to search! Any ideas? I would love to do a whole recital with such music, one day.

Replies (4)

May 8, 2022, 9:09 PM · Thank you for introducing me to the music of Henk Badings, a composer I had never heard of. I see he has many other varied compositions recorded. Hard to say whether or not I "like" this Cappricio for Violin and 2 Soundtracks, but at least now I've heard it. It reminds me of music by Frank Zappa or maybe Edgard Varese.
Edited: May 8, 2022, 9:48 PM · That's some really cool stuff. I don't know how you search for more of that kind of thing. If you type in "backing tracks" you're going to get tunes from "Frozen" and stuff like that.

Sounds like you've unlocked your jazz gene. Not all jazz is swing stuff. Maybe find a couple of kindred spirits in your area -- a keyboard player or someone who plays vibes. Often they have collaborative spirits.

May 9, 2022, 3:18 AM · Glad to hear I could introduce you to something new. I also once played a duo by Badings for two violins, a piece with a certain microtonal mode.
He also wrote symphonies, at least some of which had much expressive grandeur (I came across Badings when our orchestra did two of them).
So, a huge variety of styles by one composer, but all of those having in common to be very expressive and, though not all quite easy, being pretty player-friendly, after all.
He was not a violinist (actually he was an engineer, as far as I remember), but he knew all details about how things could be not only played, but being played well, on a violin.

I never thought of parallels to jazz, though. I am no jazz expert, but doesn’t jazz always consist of at least some improvisational aspect in its core?

When I wrote about playing freely, earlier, I actually didn’t mean it in an improvisational way- just the agogics, like in any romantic piece. I personally like the challenge of having that very strict frame of detailed written music and discover the freedom within these boundaries- may it be Brahms, Mozart, or Badings.

May 14, 2022, 9:33 AM · Emily, try selecting from Youtube's 'you might like' offerings in the right column of the music you enjoy. When I listened to the Badings piece, I noticed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDbJhbEirfI It's similar and by another composer. There are others that I did not pursue. Maybe following these trails and keeping track of pieces you enjoy most will lead to your Top 10.

Also, consider improvisation. You could decide to 'skip the swing rhythm' and 'stay straight', but learning to work within the chords, voice lead chords, work outside the chords with a purpose, etc. are valuable skills in this genre. I've heard many pieces like this in Eastman School student concerts. Often, they have some written solos and some improvised solos. For example many of Morton Feldman's pieces are written with notes for performers, but no rhythm and no bars. You just listen to others and try to start and end at the same time.

Enjoy your travels!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Colburn School: Chamber Music Intensive
Colburn School: Chamber Music Intensive

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Shopping Guide
Violinist.com Shopping Guide

Metzler Violin Shop

Bein & Company

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Los Angeles Violin Shop

String Masters

Bobelock Cases

Things 4 Strings LLC

Violin-Strings.com

Viola-Strings.com

Baerenreiter

Fiddlerman.com

FiddlerShop

Sleepy Puppy Press

Jargar Strings

J.R. Judd Violins, LLC

Southwest Strings

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe