Airtags to find a stolen violin?

April 30, 2022, 5:37 AM · Hi, last night I had a nightmare, my violin was stolen. Because of the anguish I went through, I thought how to avoid it and I remembered the Apple Airtags. What is your opinion? It can be useful? Does anyone use them for the violin case?

Replies (9)

April 30, 2022, 11:27 AM · Pros: the AirTags work with a vast network of devices to track lost/stolen objects. They will also notify you if you leave your case behind or if it “walks away.” also no cell data plan needed and pretty small. I plan on using them for several bags/cases in the family.

Cons: can’t locate object if it’s not near other apple devices (so really, if it’s taken somewhere remote). Easy for a thief to search the case and throw the AirTag away (true for most tracking devices). Apple takes security seriously so if the thief has an iPhone they will get a notice that someone is tracking them with an AirTag (the one in the case they just stole from you), which will then prompt them to search.

My opinion: for $29, it offers a good first round of defense but mostly for lost violins or a thief who doesn’t think to check for a tracker.

Edited: May 2, 2022, 12:51 AM · On the basis of my clients' experience, I can recommend this product as a good tracker/localizer:

https://landairsea.com/products/landairsea-54

May 2, 2022, 4:31 AM · Wow, Dimitri (the second), the Landairsea tracker requieres a 20$/month fee at least, I think it's not for me.

In my country it is not a very well-known device so I ddon't think that thieves will look for it. I think I'll try it

May 2, 2022, 6:44 AM · I'm constantly dreaming of losing my violin, usually 5 minutes before a concert. I'm not worried about it happening in reality but it would be nice to find something to make the dreams stop.
May 2, 2022, 7:31 AM · I have Airtags and Tile.
They both have their advantages and I did get a wallet back because of a Tile tracker. I also got a ride with with the French police in a high speed pursuit of the robber - but that's another story!
Tile will show you a history on the map which currently, Apple Airtags don't to my knowledge. However, Airtags get 'tagged' by other Apple phones more frequently.
I thought my wallet got stolen but I got it back fully intact with cash and everything. I wondered if it was a thief that they saw the tracker and then get rid of the wallet as soon as they could seeing as Tile had a history of where they had been. If it's an Airtag they could just throw it out if it's not well hidden and it would only show the current location when the owner checks their tracking app.
Edited: May 2, 2022, 8:15 AM · @Jesus, at $179 per year think of it as insurance. Only if the instrument is worth it to you, of course. For a Strad that is nothing.
Edited: May 2, 2022, 1:56 PM · On a related topic, what gives me worried thoughts with my violin is "mysterious disappearance." It would be terrible for my violin to be stolen. I really enjoy it. We've bonded.

But should the worst happen, my violin is at least, insured. That is, except for mysterious disappearance. So, I take steps to avoid that unthinkable outcome.

For example, I would never leave it in a "locked" room or office. Where I go, it goes. And, Vice versa. I don't foresee ever needing to fly with my violin. Of course, sometimes there's a need to travel with my violin in a vehicle. And, there are times when I stop for a coke to help me stay awake. For the brief period of time that it takes to pop into a convenience store, I make sure that the violin case is carefully hidden, and I lock the doors. And should I emerge from the store to see broken windows or locks, and the violin gone, I question that this disappearance would be considered, "mysterious."

What about at home? If some day, I should find it missing from it's perch on a close shelf, or from it's corner in the fruit room, would this disappearance not be considered mysterious? I'm not absolutely sure; but, I suspect so.

To eliminate this potential outcome, shortly after we brought the violin home, we bought a safe just large enough for the violin case, and I bolted it to the floor in our living room. We put other valuables in the safe, as well. Having a safe, I can leave the house in peace for any length of time, knowing that the violin is inside. And even if I should return home to find the safe missing with four gaping holes in the living room floor, I doubt that this disappearance would be considered, "mysterious."

As with air tags, a bit of prevention can render the cure unnecessary.

May 2, 2022, 2:47 PM · I'm actually considering putting an airtag on my rosin!!
May 3, 2022, 9:50 PM · Neil, Having it stolen from your car is not a mysterious disappearance but without signs of breaking and entering it would be, either at home or from the car.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Colburn School: Chamber Music Intensive
Colburn School: Chamber Music Intensive

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Shopping Guide
Violinist.com Shopping Guide

Metzler Violin Shop

Bein & Company

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Los Angeles Violin Shop

String Masters

Bobelock Cases

Things 4 Strings LLC

Violin-Strings.com

Viola-Strings.com

Baerenreiter

Fiddlerman.com

FiddlerShop

Sleepy Puppy Press

Jargar Strings

J.R. Judd Violins, LLC

Southwest Strings

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe