On the way back to playing

January 14, 2022, 1:37 PM · A bicycling accident, where I broke my neck (reverse displaced fracture of C1, C2 & C3). It's been surgically repaired (fusion of C1 & C2) and I have all senses remaining (FWIW: This particular injury kills a lot of cyclists.)

I can now, with the approval of the surgeon, begin the process of getting back to playing. I've adjusted my position because I cannot turn my head to look over the violin and my shoulders must be parallel with the music stand head up facing forward.

I played pizzicato violin holding the instrument like a mandolin during the recovery. So, my left hand is still good but now the issue is bowing. Holding the violin just slightly forward I cannot see the strings and the angles are all different for my right arm.

That being said, I'm overjoyed to be re-learning how to bow, making any kind of music - even just simple exercises. Working to get the arm, hand and bow working together. Yeah, I use a mirror a lot.

I've "graduated" my students to other teachers and I'm not yet ready to start new ones during Covid. But, I think that overcoming this adversity will make me a better teacher when I open up my studio again.

Just my way of saying: "I'm Back!"

Replies (7)

January 14, 2022, 2:29 PM · I'm sorry you have been through so much but it gives me joy to see someone else who is willing to do whatever it takes to get back to doing something they love. Adversity often makes us stronger and better people.
January 14, 2022, 2:37 PM · I wish you the best of luck.
I hope that lots of scale practice will soon have you finding your fingers and bow on the right strings at the right time without looking.
How else can one play while sight reading?
Edited: January 15, 2022, 5:38 AM · wow George "FWIW: This particular injury kills a lot of cyclists" so glad to hear back from you! it must be tough not to be able to look a bit down over the violin strings. but Andrew's remark about sight reading violin, so playing while staring at your sheet music, is very pertinent, and moreover, there are even blind violinists. so I'm sure you'll figure something out. AND there are other things than the violin in life! all my best regards.
January 15, 2022, 8:55 AM · Great to hear of your determined spirit and love for the violin.
Welcome back - and I hope you make systematic and not-too-uncomfortable progress.
January 15, 2022, 10:30 AM · Wonderful to see you are not going to give up. There just is nothing like music coming from your own body, and (IMO) nothing like it involving a violin! Keep us updated on your progress and hang in there!
January 15, 2022, 10:39 AM · George, I’m adding my voice to this wonderful chorus of encouragement, Keep going, keep bowing, and continue to enjoy the music!
January 15, 2022, 11:16 AM · George -- if only the violin were as easy as supply chain management, right?? Seriously it's great to have you back. Your wisdom always shines through in our little forum here.

I'm so sorry you were injured, but at your age if you were on your bicycle then what that tells me is you're a vibrant, young-at-heart gentleman who lives his life to the fullest. A good model for us all.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis
International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Shopping Guide
Violinist.com Shopping Guide

ARIA International Summer Academy

Metzler Violin Shop

Bein & Company

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Los Angeles Violin Shop

String Masters

Bobelock Cases

Things 4 Strings LLC

Violin-Strings.com

Viola-Strings.com

Baerenreiter

Fiddlerman.com

FiddlerShop

Sleepy Puppy Press

Jargar Strings

J.R. Judd Violins, LLC

Southwest Strings

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe