Summer camps recommendations?

Edited: January 10, 2022, 11:15 AM · Hello, I would like to get some opinions about different summer camps for violinists. I want to enroll in one soon. I am 22 years old and I could go to camps in Spanish or English in America.

Any experience you have is good, since I have been to none this far. Also if they are not in the USA I think it would be easier since getting a Visa is hard today because of the pandemic.

Thanks in advance.

Replies (4)

January 10, 2022, 11:54 AM · It depends on what you are looking for-do you want to focus more on orchestral playing, chamber music, solo? I only have experience with summer festivals in the US, but some recommendations I have are Brevard and Aspen-both are focused mostly on orchestral playing, but you do get weekly private lessons, plus access to chamber music groups/coachings if you wish, and the faculty at both festivals are amazing. I also had a good experience with chamber music & private lessons at the Montecito summer music festival in CA. I've heard that Yellow Barn is good for chamber music as well, and that the Heifetz summer music program is great if you want to focus on your solo playing. Again, sorry these are all in the USA, but hopefully will help some!
Edited: January 10, 2022, 12:29 PM · The STRAD magazine*** has just issued their annual 50-page "STRING COURSES" supplement of 250 - 300 world-wide camps, courses and master classes. There are also many chamber-music workshops, some of which are also listed therein and others might be available from the ACMP (Associated Chamber Music Players: https://acmp.net/). You might be able to find The STRAD copy from a teacher, colleague or library.

***( January magazine and STRING COURSES supplement are available digitally for $5.99 at this website: https://pocketmags.com/us/the-strad-magazine )

Since you are now "legally" adult in every way the only limitation you might face is being too old for some of the summer camps.

January 11, 2022, 9:51 AM · Clara, thank you very much! I will check all of you suggestions for a possibility when I manage to get my visa.
January 11, 2022, 9:53 AM · Thank you very much, Andrew! It is great that they have information from courses all over the world.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis
International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Shopping Guide
Violinist.com Shopping Guide

ARIA International Summer Academy

Metzler Violin Shop

Bein & Company

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Los Angeles Violin Shop

String Masters

Bobelock Cases

Things 4 Strings LLC

Violin-Strings.com

Viola-Strings.com

Baerenreiter

Fiddlerman.com

FiddlerShop

Sleepy Puppy Press

Jargar Strings

J.R. Judd Violins, LLC

Southwest Strings

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe