Resolution for

January 1, 2022, 5:08 PM · I plan to work on my bowing.I mean the whole bow, and less pressure to prevent scratching and get better tone and smoother sounds. Get smoother Change from up to down bowing. In all my 77 years of playing, I am 87 now I never did do well in these issues!
I bought a carbon fibre bow 3 years ago, an Eastman which I like very much; 60gm
This was a great idea and look forward to reading people’s comments,
Good for you Laurie!
Happy New Year

Replies (6)

January 2, 2022, 8:44 PM · How do I respond to your resolution suggestions
Thanks. Terry o
January 3, 2022, 7:04 AM · I warm up on open strings with short swinging strokes in the middle of the bow, the gradually lengthen in both directions. After all, there are few straight lines in nature, only nearly-flat curves!
This way the changes of direction are "weightless".
January 3, 2022, 7:21 AM · I come back to an article I got published in The Instrumentalist in 1975. For 3 minutes a day (minimum, and yes, 3 minutes), pick one tough technical skill to work on. You can do something different each day if you want to.

Do it super slow and with full concentration and focus on getting it perfect. After 3 minutes, do as much (or as little) as you want - you've paid your daily dues.

This may seem totally not enough. But:
1. You will practice DAILY, no matter how you feel about it (and who doesn't have 3 minutes a day).
2. It will help your concentration, without worrying about that hour or more ahead of you.
3. When you do practice more than 3 minutes, it's because you want to, not because you have to.
4. Just watch what happens after at least a week or two of doing this.

Hope that helps.
And happy new year.
Sandy

January 3, 2022, 7:21 AM · Good for you!
January 3, 2022, 5:29 PM · As an adult beginner, I find it humbling and inspiring that there is still much to learn and improve after 77 years of violin playing.
Edited: January 10, 2022, 6:29 PM · In the last two or three years, I've returned to playing violin after decades of not playing. During that extended furlough, I decided if ever again I decided to play, I would break some bad habits that I had accumulated.

One of them was holding the violin to far in front, and not enough towards the left side. A second was always playing too high on the bow, and not enough towards the frog. Once I corrected the first, correcting the second followed more naturally. Long bows have become part of my daily ritual.

So, it's possible that the problem you're experiencing may not be entirely about bowing. Everything works together comfortably as a system. Begin with basic fundamentals and work from there. What might need to change to make long bows more comfortable to play?

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis
International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Shopping Guide
Violinist.com Shopping Guide

ARIA International Summer Academy

Metzler Violin Shop

Bein & Company

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Los Angeles Violin Shop

String Masters

Bobelock Cases

Things 4 Strings LLC

Violin-Strings.com

Viola-Strings.com

Baerenreiter

Fiddlerman.com

FiddlerShop

Sleepy Puppy Press

Jargar Strings

J.R. Judd Violins, LLC

Southwest Strings

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe