Looking for a Luthier in the Toledo Area

December 30, 2021, 9:00 PM · Could anyone recommend a luthier in or around Toledo? I'm new to the area, and I'm looking for someone to adjust the soundpost on my instrument. I'd be willing to drive a couple hours, if need be, say to Ann Arbor or Detroit.

Replies (8)

December 31, 2021, 5:27 AM · Is Columbus too far?
December 31, 2021, 6:14 AM · Joe Martin in Canton made one of my instruments.
December 31, 2021, 2:10 PM · Not in Toledo, but you might try Maxwell Morgan in Cleveland Heights. He does a lot of work for players at the music schools in that area.
He’s got Jaime Laredo’s endorsement, something that should not be taken lightly.

http://www.maxwellsrestorations.com/

Edited: December 31, 2021, 5:04 PM · Ann Arbor should have plenty of people capable. Isn't Ann Arbor the American luthier Mecca:).
If nothing else Shar sells some higher end violins, they must have someone in house or that they could recommend?
You could post this question on Maestronet, the highly respected moderator is from there.
January 2, 2022, 6:04 PM · Ok, thanks for the suggestions! And Ann, no, Columbus isn't too far; I'd be happy to drive there if you know a good luthier in the area:)
Edited: January 2, 2022, 7:09 PM · The Loft Violin Shop, 4605 N. High Street. I've been there numerous times for sales, rehairing, strings, sound post adjustments, tailgut adjustments, a soup up treatment for my student violin. I bought my 7/8 M.F. Bieg instrument there. They keep my instruments running great. They also do major repairs. People come from miles around, even from other states. Ask for David.

And the building itself is charming. There are lots of good restaurants in the area too, I have heard.

Edited: January 5, 2022, 11:01 AM · Matthew wrote, "Isn't Ann Arbor the American luthier Mecca?" Well there are indeed fine violin makers there, but whether they do repairs or restoration is another matter, and the skill set could even be a little different. For example, putting the first coat of varnish onto a new violin is one thing -- matching the color of existing varnish is different. One would hope that David Burgess and Joseph Curtin are NOT regularly fixing cracks in their newly minted violins. SHAR offers a full spectrum of violin repairs in their shop. I grew up about an hour from Ann Arbor but I didn't ever have any work done on my violin there. We used a luthier in East Detroit named Gus Banosky. That was 40+ years ago, and Gus was an elderly gentleman then. (I'm not sure I'm spelling his last name correctly.)
January 6, 2022, 1:02 PM · There are indeed some top-level restorers and repairers in Ann Arbor or the surrounding area. Jeffrey Holmes and Sharon Que immediately come to mind, although they are so highly sought after that they may not have openings to take on more work.

Although David Burgess is primarily a maker, he is extremely knowledgeable about repair and restoration, and he’s one of the faculty for the Oberlin Restoration workshop.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis
International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Shopping Guide
Violinist.com Shopping Guide

ARIA International Summer Academy

Metzler Violin Shop

Bein & Company

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Los Angeles Violin Shop

String Masters

Bobelock Cases

Things 4 Strings LLC

Violin-Strings.com

Viola-Strings.com

Baerenreiter

Fiddlerman.com

FiddlerShop

Sleepy Puppy Press

Jargar Strings

J.R. Judd Violins, LLC

Southwest Strings

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe