Pirastro Korfkerrest Model 2. Where to buy?

Edited: December 29, 2021, 11:45 AM · I was wondering if anyone knew somewhere to buy it for less than 258 euros (292 dollars), which is the cheapest that i've found so far. I would need it to be sent to Spain.

If anyone wants to leave their opinion regarding other alternatives to the Korfkerrest, it is also welcome (i have long neck.

Thank you, and Merry Christmas!

Replies (6)

December 29, 2021, 12:23 PM · You may be able to purchase one on EBay. Some sellers will allow potential buyers to make offers.
December 29, 2021, 3:20 PM · The price jump on the Korfker is pretty formidable, but your read on the current price is accurate. You'll have to watch for sales, which are rare.
December 29, 2021, 4:11 PM · Hi,
I've tried quite a few different shoulder rests over the years (I too have a sort of long neck - not quite a giraffe, but I need a taller chinrest than normal and a shoulder rest to save my arthritic neck). My own journey through the shoulder rest wonderland:

1) The standard Kun - used one of these for many many years. Not very adjustable, rather generic, has no "hook".

2) The Bon Musica is infinitely adjustable, but it's heavy, and I stopped using it out of fear of dinging the back of my instrument with the exposed metal parts (I suppose they could be wrapped).

3) The foam pad. Not trying that again...

4) Wolfe Forte Secondo - I quite liked this one. Has similar adjustability as the bon musica, might be slightly lighter.

5) Mach One Hook - this is my current choice and it's by far my favorite. It's not adjustable, but the contour of it fits me perfectly, plus it's made of very lightweight wood (maple?) and even seems to help the sound of my instrument a bit. The padding on it is a rough leather (not super rough) which I find does not slip as easily against certain clothing fabric, so that's a plus too.

All of these are inexpensive. I'd love to try the Korfker, but there is no way I can justify spending around $300USD for a shoulder rest (and I fail to see how they can justify selling it for that!) In terms of weight and feel and looks, the Mach One with or without the "hook") is probably closest to the Korfkerrest.

December 29, 2021, 5:00 PM · Erin has provided a good summary and description of what's available out there besides the Korfker. You would really do yourself a favor if you could go to a decent luthier and try some rests. I have no idea where in Spain you live, but many of the cities should have good violin shops where you could go. Good luck!
Edited: December 30, 2021, 4:45 PM · I took the plunge and bought one this year. I had to spend an additional $50 for the short legs. It is very light and adjustable. I like it well enough. But my favorite SR is still the VLM Diamond.
December 29, 2021, 7:09 PM · Kreddle chinrest

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis
International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Shopping Guide
Violinist.com Shopping Guide

ARIA International Summer Academy

Metzler Violin Shop

Bein & Company

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Los Angeles Violin Shop

String Masters

Bobelock Cases

Things 4 Strings LLC

Violin-Strings.com

Viola-Strings.com

Baerenreiter

Fiddlerman.com

FiddlerShop

Sleepy Puppy Press

Jargar Strings

J.R. Judd Violins, LLC

Southwest Strings

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe