The Beatles Get Back documentary and chamber music

Edited: December 27, 2021, 3:23 PM · We’ve been binge watching the Beatles Get Back (alas just out on Disney+) this week. It is spellbinding watching them struggle and create the melody, the lyrics, and gradually, bit by bit, pull together almost from thin air, their songs for the ages like Let it Be. And then as they rehearse hours, days, weeks on end, composing the ensemble aspects, once they have the tunes (when the drums should come in, when to do the chord shifts) and practicing. I watch this admittedly as a Beatles fan, but also in the context of loving playing violin in my new amateur very traditional classical quartet (where we are playing Haydn and Borodin so far, thanks to all of your recommendations). There are similarities, like when they all stop and tune, when they tinker with who should play louder or quieter. But especially I feel as a similarity, that wonderful indescribable amazing feeling when everything comes together and the music feels like it is its own living, moving entity, much more than the sum of its parts, and you look at each other when you finish and know something special just happened. This must transcend genre and ability too, to a large extent. I guess this is why people play music together. I wonder if others watched this and feel this parallel or similarity.

Replies (2)

December 28, 2021, 3:31 PM · You and your quartet might also like to play Fritz Spiegl's "Eine kleine Beatlemusic" - but you may have to learn or write down the parts from the vinyl, as i don't know where you can get a printed score from.
December 28, 2021, 4:14 PM · My teacher (viola) is on tour with the Bootleg Beatles at the moment.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis
International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Shopping Guide
Violinist.com Shopping Guide

ARIA International Summer Academy

Metzler Violin Shop

Bein & Company

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Los Angeles Violin Shop

String Masters

Bobelock Cases

Things 4 Strings LLC

Violin-Strings.com

Viola-Strings.com

Baerenreiter

Fiddlerman.com

FiddlerShop

Sleepy Puppy Press

Jargar Strings

J.R. Judd Violins, LLC

Southwest Strings

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe