Selecting a steel E for use with gut

Edited: December 27, 2021, 12:07 PM · The gut strings I use mostly, and have been for some years, are Pirastro Chorda. I like to use their gut E, but for practical reasons (string life) the E I'm currently using in combination with the gut lower strings is Lenzner's Goldbrokat, light gauge (0.26). I find it preferable to the medium gauge Goldbrokat. However, I'm looking for a steel E that is closer in tone, and perhaps feel, to a gut E. Can someone recommend such a string, please?

The music I play, in ensemble, is predominantly from the Baroque and Classical eras.

Replies (8)

Edited: December 25, 2021, 2:22 PM · I know you like Chordas, but have you considered trying another brand for the E? Some say that it is the least reliable brand for durability (not sound quality, per se), so perhaps a varnished Gamut or SuperSolo might fill the bill incrementally better.

Without any other specific knowledge, I'd be inclined to try a wrapped Eudoxa, which sounds a lot less 'metallic' than many other E strings.

Edited: December 25, 2021, 4:03 PM · I believe .26 is actually the medium gauge for Goldbrokat. .27 is heavy and there’s also a .28, which I’ve never tried. I personally love Goldbrokat. It’s my favorite steel E to use. The Pirastro Tonica E is also quite a good string in my opinion.
Edited: December 25, 2021, 8:52 PM · "A steel E that is closer to gut". Rrrright.

They have wound steel Es which I hear are not great, but they are more subdued than plain wire.

Edited: December 25, 2021, 7:52 PM · The Warchal Amber e is the most gut-like plain (sort-of) steel e I have played, but everyone here is more expert than I.
December 25, 2021, 10:52 PM · Your best bet is probably going to be a wound E string. They may not great, but since you're playing gut you might like the sound as wound Es are warmer and not as piercing. Non-Baroque/Classical era musicians usually don't like wound Es due to lack of projection and brilliance.

As for wound Es I would echo Stephen's recommendation of the wound Eudoxa. The tonica E is pretty good like Nate mentioned and they even have a wound version.

Edited: December 26, 2021, 10:48 AM · I find Pirastro's No1 wound E warmer than the Eudoxa or Tonica equivalents.
And I may be the only v.commer who actually likes the Dominant wound E! But then I am principally a violist..

I wonder of a wound gut A would make better transition to a steel E than a plain gut A?

December 27, 2021, 7:15 AM · What Paul says about himself almost certainly qpplies to me too, and I can add that for me, the whistle-resistance of Warchal outweighs everything else (Think "Open E bariolage") - and for the Amber the "everything else" is more in its favour than against.
Edited: December 29, 2021, 3:35 PM · Thank you, everybody, for your useful and informative responses.

I have decided on the Warchal Amber E. As it happened, I installed a set of Ambers on my Jay Haide three years ago, some months before I passed that violin on to my daughter in Belgium - she badly needed a reasonably respectable violin to replace her old (not in years) violin. The Jay Haide had been looked after well by my local luthier, and it was noticeably improved by the Ambers.

Unfortunately, it did not occur to me at the time to try out the Ambers on my 18th c violin - it was already set up with gut - but my experience of the Ambers on the Jay Haide, including in a couple of concerts, means I won't hesitate to try the Amber E on what is now my sole violin. So, in the New Year, when the stores have re-opened, I'll be in my luthier's buying an Amber E.

And a Happy New Year to everyone!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis
International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Shopping Guide
Violinist.com Shopping Guide

ARIA International Summer Academy

Metzler Violin Shop

Bein & Company

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Los Angeles Violin Shop

String Masters

Bobelock Cases

Things 4 Strings LLC

Violin-Strings.com

Viola-Strings.com

Baerenreiter

Fiddlerman.com

FiddlerShop

Sleepy Puppy Press

Jargar Strings

J.R. Judd Violins, LLC

Southwest Strings

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe