Aaron Rosand chinrest infos

December 23, 2021, 5:52 PM · I am trying to find the chinrest model of Aaron Rosand. I have heard it could be named “Ysaye chinrest” (maybe an old Hill model impossible to fin now). However it seems that Ysaye used a chinrest with a bridge over the tailpiece which is not the case for Rosand. His chinrest is similar to a Kauffman slightly higher towards the tailpiece.
Thank you for your help :-)

Replies (13)

December 23, 2021, 6:13 PM · Mr. Rosand used Ysaye’s actual chin rest that he inherited from Leon Sametini (Ysaye’s son) on his del Gesu and Vuillaume. I remember he showed it to me. It’s very similar to the Kaufman chin rest or the old Hill ones. It doesn’t have a flap that goes over the tailpiece like the Guarneri style chin rests.
Edited: December 23, 2021, 11:06 PM · Beware of purchasing a chinrest by "name of style," they have changed in the past half-century! I was fortunate to purchase several "original STUBER made in Germany" chinrests in the 1960s. When I tried to buy some more Stubers later in the 20th century they were NOT THE SAME!

I suggest you look at the chinrest offerings of "Alexander Accessories" in the UK and see if you can find something that looks right. Then try to find that somewhere else because these days AA chinrests cost 5 to 10 times more than common brands. However, if they have what you want, they are worth it.

So.. I do have one AA chinrest that I bought years ago when they only cost $100 now they cost twice that. When I wanted more I did the following:
I bought a low, flat Joachim chinrest from concordmusic.com:

https://www.concordmusic.com/products/joachim-violin-chinrest

Then I bought a "the Impressionist" from some on-line dealer end molded it to perfectly fit my jaw/chin and it is as good for me as any of my original Stubers. ACTUALLY what I really did was buy 2 Impressionists and used my remaining "original Stuber" to make an impression in it (i.e., a "negative" as in photography), then I froze that and used it to form a mold that I used to impress a 2nd Impressionist to attach to the top of the flat Joachim chinrest to simulate an original Stuber. I found a chinrest made that way was a better fit for me than using my own jaw/chin to make the impression. I keep the molded Impressionistin case I ever want another "Stuber."

I now have 4 chinrests made that way, one "original Stuber" and one of the same design made by and bought from AA. I use 2 of them on my violas. WHY do I need so many now? because I stupidly donated my "excess" 2 Stuber chinrests to a local youth orchestra while I was testing other types of chinrests.

December 23, 2021, 7:33 PM · One of Ysaye's famous former students did say that the master left his DNA all over the American midwest. But I hadn't heard that Sametini was one of his offspring.
December 23, 2021, 8:01 PM · Remember that Nate Robinson studied with Rosand. I use a Kaufmann CR but I carved part of it down to suit my anatomy.
December 24, 2021, 3:12 AM · May one hope the DNA was distributed by gifts of chinrests?
Edited: December 24, 2021, 10:51 AM · Stephen - Aaron Rosand told me that Sametini was Ysaye’s son. It was pretty well known in musical circles back then according to him. Sametini was briefly a concertmaster with the Chicago Symphony. He must’ve been quite a violinist. Not surprising considering his bloodlines. Paul - I wasn’t really a student of Rosand’s. I played for him a few times. My family was friends with him for decades.
December 24, 2021, 11:15 AM · Thank you Nate for those infos ! I was wondering if he was using some kind of pad under his shirt and if he could play without the pad ?

https://youtu.be/zAfbBuWb0io

I am trying to find a chinrest like this one with a small edge

December 24, 2021, 11:28 AM · https://youtu.be/gIcJ-8KcgZQ

What a player !!!

Edited: December 24, 2021, 12:00 PM · Thanks, Nate! He would have been from his youth in Belgium. Apparently he worked hard at that skill, and was a great companion of Jacques Thibaud for this reason.

Interesting that the son never latched on to the father as an official teacher, though.

Edited: December 24, 2021, 12:35 PM · Hi Henri, yes, Rosand did use a piece of foam upholstery under his jacket or shirt when he played, similar to the one Stern used and what Zukerman currently uses. I always saw him playing with this foam rubber pad but I’m sure he could play without it. Heifetz apparently also had some padding sewn discreetly inside his concert jackets.
December 24, 2021, 12:51 PM · David Nadien was the only one with nothing I guess ;-))
Edited: December 24, 2021, 4:24 PM · Yes Nadien was about a foot shorter than me (around 5’2”) and had a very small clearance between his neck & collarbone. He didn’t need any padding under the instrument when he played, in the time I knew him.
Edited: December 25, 2021, 9:11 AM · Nate thanks for the clarification -- I had only remembered that you had spent some time with Rosand and seemed to know him pretty well. His 1970 "Live Performance" album from a recital in Chicago is one of my all time favorite albums -- the Bloch on there is stupendous. The album now appears to be out of print, sadly.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis
International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Shopping Guide
Violinist.com Shopping Guide

ARIA International Summer Academy

Metzler Violin Shop

Bein & Company

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Los Angeles Violin Shop

String Masters

Bobelock Cases

Things 4 Strings LLC

Violin-Strings.com

Viola-Strings.com

Baerenreiter

Fiddlerman.com

FiddlerShop

Sleepy Puppy Press

Jargar Strings

J.R. Judd Violins, LLC

Southwest Strings

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe