What type of modern violin does Gil Shaham play?

December 21, 2021, 9:41 AM · I heard Gil Shaham's stunning unaccompanied recital at Stanford University recently and noticed that Mr. Shaham was playing a modern instrument. What type of violin does Gil Shaham play when he is not playing his Strad? The concert was absolutely fantastic!!!!

Replies (7)

December 21, 2021, 10:52 AM · Last I knew he was playing a deep red violin by Andranik Gaybaryan
Edited: December 21, 2021, 12:46 PM · Interesting. I'd tried some of his fiddles maybe 20 years ago. Roman Totenberg had been supportive then.

If you follow Gaybaryan's site, there are links to two concerts where he used the new one. I hear tell he also uses a Simon bow-- which he seems to crank up to the point that it is convex.

December 21, 2021, 12:49 PM · As far as I know he still plays a Gaybaryan violin - it can be seen in several recent videos.

And yes - Shaham really likes a tight bow! I kind of cringe when I see it, but he sounds fantastic, so more power to him!

December 21, 2021, 1:11 PM · If he is using a Simon, I hope he is salvaging use out of one that was tired and useless when he got it. Otherwise, I hate to think of what the next owner will find.
December 21, 2021, 5:45 PM · That's one way to baroque your bow
December 21, 2021, 10:38 PM · My daughter had a 3/4 student bow that has to be almost straight to get the right tension for ordinary playing. It was just a weak stick. But it handled really well. Maybe Shaham has such a bow. Maybe he's really not playing with all that much tension.
Edited: December 31, 2021, 1:42 PM · I was at that concert too, and was really put off by how bright his violin sounded… I loved the warmth of the 1699 Strad he played and assumed it was because he switched to a 1719 Strad in 2020. Are you sure it was a modern instrument?

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis
International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Shopping Guide
Violinist.com Shopping Guide

ARIA International Summer Academy

Metzler Violin Shop

Bein & Company

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Los Angeles Violin Shop

String Masters

Bobelock Cases

Things 4 Strings LLC

Violin-Strings.com

Viola-Strings.com

Baerenreiter

Fiddlerman.com

FiddlerShop

Sleepy Puppy Press

Jargar Strings

J.R. Judd Violins, LLC

Southwest Strings

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe