Bow rehair in Philly?

December 15, 2021, 8:50 PM · Any suggestions for shops in the vicinity of northern Philadelphia or Doylestown for a bow rehair? The hair seems to have slipped rather suddenly on my daughter's cello bow and she cannot tighten it any more. I have inspected the bow and the cause is not obvious to me.

Replies (12)

December 15, 2021, 9:15 PM · Outstanding shop:

https://mountairyviolins.com

December 15, 2021, 10:44 PM · Another vote for Mt. Airy Violins.
December 15, 2021, 10:55 PM · Great. I saw that one on "Google Maps" but of course a recommendation from my friends here is worth far more.
December 16, 2021, 4:25 AM · Nice to see this solved so quickly here!
December 16, 2021, 8:21 AM · Timing isn't good. They're closed Christmas through New Year. I'll call and ask about the rehair, but it looks doubtful. Anyone know anything about Golden Violins or Princeton Violins?
December 16, 2021, 10:20 AM · You could also try Vintage Instruments in center city.
December 16, 2021, 10:54 AM · Sigh... I remember the days when the answer to anything would have been Moennig.
December 16, 2021, 11:46 AM · If one doesn't have a local rehair EXPERT (which I do), the emphasis is largely shifting to the rehair experts who have set up good "mail-order" rehair programs.
December 16, 2021, 12:00 PM · I can't recommend Princeton Violins. If you'd like more details, feel free to PM me.
December 16, 2021, 12:40 PM · Stephan, Yeah, well! My only visit to Moening was in 1954 or '55 when I took the commuter train in from college and went in to the shop to have something checked on my violin (I can't remember what) and since they had not sold it to me they would not touch it.
Now they are gone - some 12 years - but I and my violin are still here.
No tears from me!
December 16, 2021, 1:34 PM · Oh, well. My Mom (clueless consumer) remembers calling them long-distance and having them send up a half-size violin that wasn't too bad. Or maybe it was 3/4. Not sure where she got that one. I was never treated like royalty there in college, but did get to know Phil Kass a bit. We played occasionally in the same orchestra run by a violinist from the PO. It was close enough to my lesson spot that I'd get strings from them. Possibly re-hairings, but I probably waited until vacation for those.
December 16, 2021, 10:26 PM · Turns out our local fellow who rehaired the bow over the summer, was perplexed and dismayed to learn that the hair had slipped at the frog and is eagerly awaiting my delivery of the bow to his workshop in the morning. The drive is about 30 minutes but it's a much more pleasant drive from Blacksburg just into Floyd County than the drive from Doylestown into the city of Philadelphia. The craftsman said he would take the ferrule off in my presence so that we could both learn what might have happened. He's our local rehair "expert" as evidenced that he gets repeat business from the pros in Roanoke.

However, that still leaves bow shopping and I think we might have a go at that in the Philly and Princeton shops. The teacher feels we might be ready to upgrade from the Codabow.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis
International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Shopping Guide
Violinist.com Shopping Guide

ARIA International Summer Academy

Metzler Violin Shop

Bein & Company

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Los Angeles Violin Shop

String Masters

Bobelock Cases

Things 4 Strings LLC

Violin-Strings.com

Viola-Strings.com

Baerenreiter

Fiddlerman.com

FiddlerShop

Sleepy Puppy Press

Jargar Strings

J.R. Judd Violins, LLC

Southwest Strings

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe