Dancla’s 6 Air Variés

December 15, 2021, 10:38 AM · I understand Dancla used the melodies from 6 opera works as the theme of his 6 air variés. I wonder if anyone could advise which 6 operas are those melodies from. I am only aware the 2nd one is from The Barber of Serville overture.

Appreciate if anyone has the information could shed light on this.:-)

Replies (18)

December 16, 2021, 12:35 AM · I am guessing that you mean the 6 Airs Varies op 89?
1. Thème de Pacini - Cavatina (Niobe)
2. Thème de Rossini - Ecco ridente in cielo (Il barbiere di Siviglia)
3. Thème de Bellini Cavatina 'Tu vedrai la svenlurata' (Il Pirata)
4. Thème de Donizetti- Cavatina 'Com'è bello quale incanto' (Lucrezia Borgia, Act 1)
5. Thème de Weigl - I have never heard any opera by Weigl, so I can't help here.
6. Thème de Mercadante - Tyrolienne. Dont know from here. I only know the Czerny arrangement for piano.
December 16, 2021, 10:38 AM · Thanks Matthias, you are amazing. Using your evidence I have managed to locate the melodies of the first four air varies in those opera works. But for #6, theme on Mercadante, I am still trying to find it.
December 16, 2021, 10:28 PM · I always conjure the image of an insect when I think of Weigl. Like weevil.
December 17, 2021, 6:52 PM · Anyone else have idea on Air Varie #5 and #6?
Search the internet for all works of Mercadante, but could not find one with “ Tyrolienne” in the name
December 18, 2021, 8:25 AM · This sounds like the kind of information that might be in a BOOK somewhere.
Edited: December 18, 2021, 6:38 PM · A Tyrolienne is a peasant dance. Might be a clue.

Recordings of all 6 variés seem hard to find - I did find all 6 available at Amazon from a CD by "Lawfame Violin." Sweet playing!

December 18, 2021, 11:18 PM · Regarding no 6: Hûnten did some piano variation on the theme and called it with the same name: https://www.abebooks.com/sheet-music/H%C3%9CNTEN-Fran%C3%A7ois-Tyrolienne-Mercadante-Piano-ca1835/22595846280/bd

So it might be the real name, and my guess then is that it is not an aria, but an instrumental piece.

December 21, 2021, 11:25 AM · Looks like I will have to scan through all Mercadante’s works to find this out!
December 21, 2021, 11:59 AM · Gracie, you’ll find it quite an enjoyable task. Mercadante is a melodious and pleasant composer. He is rather undervalued!
December 30, 2021, 9:43 AM · I was totally unaware of this music (Dancla Op. 89) and I am grateful for this thread making me aware. I have now downloaded Dancla Op. 89, 118 and 123 from IMSLP.org, printed them and had them spiral bound at Staples and am enjoying playing them - I find them simple to play, yet absolutely delightful like some arias.
December 30, 2021, 11:48 AM · Indeed, the melodies are very enjoyable and the variations give good opportunity to practice different sets of skills.my daughter absolutely loves this series.
December 31, 2021, 1:34 AM · Dancla is often underated. His advanced studies are brilliant.
January 2, 2022, 8:21 PM · Hi Stephen, may I know “advanced studies” refers to which piece of work?
January 3, 2022, 12:08 AM · I am guessing that he means the wonderful 20 studies op 73
https://imslp.org/wiki/20_%C3%89tudes_brillantes_et_caract%C3%A9ristiques,_Op.73_(Dancla,_Charles)
January 3, 2022, 12:43 AM · yep. Happy New Year Mattias (and everyone else!)
January 3, 2022, 9:43 AM · Thank you Gentlemen, happy new year!
January 4, 2022, 4:18 AM · Prompted by this thread I got the Schirmer edition and performed the first "air" for my elderly father yesterday! Sans piano, but that's life. It is indeed not difficult, there are just two licks, one in the intro and one in the variation, that need to be practiced.
January 4, 2022, 9:45 AM · Still trying to find the original piece from Mercadante. Apart from Apple Music, any other online classical music library resources to recommend anyone?

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis
International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Shopping Guide
Violinist.com Shopping Guide

ARIA International Summer Academy

Metzler Violin Shop

Bein & Company

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Los Angeles Violin Shop

String Masters

Bobelock Cases

Things 4 Strings LLC

Violin-Strings.com

Viola-Strings.com

Baerenreiter

Fiddlerman.com

FiddlerShop

Sleepy Puppy Press

Jargar Strings

J.R. Judd Violins, LLC

Southwest Strings

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe