Vivaldi Gloria Bowing

Edited: November 22, 2021, 11:50 AM · I'm working on Vivaldi's Gloria again for an event coming up. Starting at measure nine in the first violin section we have the running 16th notes. I am under the impression that the more appropriate bowing would be to switch strings between notes (Bariolage) but would like to know what other people prefer or feel is correct/appropriate.

Replies (5)

November 22, 2021, 10:54 PM · My gut would just be to play the passage in 1st position, but the bariolage fingering wouldn't be too hard, and might be worth trying out if you can get everyone else to do it too. Could be fun.
November 23, 2021, 10:43 AM · It depends on who is playing and what your role is. If you are to be the conductor you'll have to decide if your violinists can deal with the bariolage sufficiently to make it worth it--after you decide if it is worth it in the first place.

If you are in a minor role than conductor you'd have to bring up the idea with the conductor--he is the one to ultimately decide (Vivaldi can't be asked any more and I doubt the HIP literature is of much help in this matter).

My personal opinion tends to taking the passage as melody, not as pseudo counterpoint, and to play them straightforward in first position, not crossing swings except where necessary.

November 23, 2021, 3:19 PM · I would choose bariolage because at measure 9 et seq we have a repeating pattern which in this context is more effective played with bariolage than without.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Shopping Guide
Violinist.com Shopping Guide

Metzler Violin Shop

Bein & Company

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Los Angeles Violin Shop

String Masters

Bobelock Cases

Things 4 Strings LLC

Violin-Strings.com

Viola-Strings.com

Baerenreiter

Fiddlerman.com

FiddlerShop

Sleepy Puppy Press

Jargar Strings

J.R. Judd Violins, LLC

Southwest Strings

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe