Shoulder Rest for

Edited: November 21, 2021, 7:31 PM · Hi fantastic violin community,

I am a professional violinist with a doctorate degree in performance. After many years of changing my set up to fit my body type, I have been experimenting with a much more "slanted" approach to playing, where the violin is raised much higher on the "shoulder side". This works much better for me, as I have hands and thumbs that have an angle relative to the body that are different than the "general population". I will spare you all the details for now, as this is not the main interest of this discussion.

Long story short, what I am wondering is if anyone knows of a shoulder rest model that can measure as high as 4 inches from "violin body" to point of contact with the actual shoulder? The other side of the shoulder rest should be about 1.5 inches.

I have been using a custom made shoulder rest with pieces of foam but it's hard to keep it attached to the violin (see this video of me playing) around the 16:48 minute mark where the foam falls off in a concert:

It's a great custom-made rest, but there has GOT to be a better way to keep it on!

Daniel

Replies (10)

November 21, 2021, 7:42 PM · The falling off and slipping and sliding and general nuisance is the reason I ditched the SR for a tall chinrest instead. Try a Kreddle chinrest as an elegant alternative to putting stilts on your violin :)
November 21, 2021, 8:04 PM · Cotton, as he's saying, it's about his hands and not his neck, and the whole point is to tilt more, not less.

(Similarly, I use a shoulder rest mainly to tilt my viola, not to raise it.)

November 21, 2021, 8:24 PM · I agree with Cotton: it's better to rise the chinrest in place of rise the viola (in my case) with a shoulder rest.
Watch this page:
www.violinistinbalance.org
November 21, 2021, 8:26 PM · I stumbled across a few no-brand shoulder rests on Amazon which actually give the height on either end of the SR which is helpful, and spotted a few which were 3.5-4cm on the shorter end. Though this was in the UK. This was one of them:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07JFCSZTH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then maybe just switch the leg on the other side to something longer from another rest/brand like the kun extra long.

November 21, 2021, 10:17 PM · I also ditched my shoulder rest, but if the angle is what you seek I would have to agree with Cotton. Get a taller chin rest and then just use a regular shoulder rest to get the angle you want on the shoulder side. The taller chin rest will take care of the rest of the height.

Speaking of which, Cotton what do you think about the kreddle? I'm currently using an SAS which is a little similar, but I've been curious about the kreddle for my violin and viola.

November 21, 2021, 10:51 PM · On the Kun S.R. the shoulder side leg is shorter than the other side. You can switch them. For something even longer, they sell an extra-high leg as a replacement part. 4 inches between the back of the fiddle and the shoulder?!. That's a lot. Maybe you can get the desired tilt by lowering the other end of the S.R.?
November 22, 2021, 9:02 AM · I’ve noticed Charlie Siem plays his violin on a steep angle, almost vertical at times. I think he uses a Wolf Forte Secondo shoulder rest with a very thin CR.
November 22, 2021, 10:02 AM · The Bonmusica comes to mind, since it has almost a "hook" going over the shoulder, which might help keep the instrument in place at that angle. You might have to get some custom parts to achieve the 4" height at the chest point, though.
November 22, 2021, 12:34 PM · I agree with those who suggest switching the legs on the shoulder rest around. Most models have a longer leg on the chest side since most people need height on that side, but for some people, raising the shoulder side higher than the chest side is necessary. While a higher chinrest can certainly help, getting an extra long leg onto the shoulder side of, say, a Kun, could be a good starting point.
Edited: November 23, 2021, 11:03 AM · I do as Ella says, with a 30° tilt on violin, and 45° on viola: I often want a warm vibrato with my stubby pinky on the lowest string!

However, I'm still seeking better stability from the extra-long screw on the Kun. So far, I link the screw legs to the lower violin corners with a loops of cotton shoe-lace, while seeking a more elegant solution..

BTW I played "restless" for some time, but I couldn't get the beautiful low tones going round in my head, nor those silky ones at the top half of the A-string.

(And using the left hand to support the instrument is a bit like trying to lift the chair you are sitting on..)

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Shopping Guide
Violinist.com Shopping Guide

Metzler Violin Shop

Bein & Company

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Los Angeles Violin Shop

String Masters

Bobelock Cases

Things 4 Strings LLC

Violin-Strings.com

Viola-Strings.com

Baerenreiter

Fiddlerman.com

FiddlerShop

Sleepy Puppy Press

Jargar Strings

J.R. Judd Violins, LLC

Southwest Strings

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe