Amourette bows

November 21, 2021, 5:11 PM · I’ve lately noticed many fine 19th century French bows made using amourette (aka snake wood). Apparently, it was not uncommon for makers such as Nicolas Maire and Dominique Peccatte to use this material in lieu of pernambuco. I am interested if anyone has used a modern style amourette bow and what your thoughts are. I imagine pernambuco must be superior to have become the default material for wood bow making. But amourette must have had some desirable characteristics. Any thoughts?

Replies (3)

November 22, 2021, 4:13 AM · I have only tried one—a Peccatte— and it didn’t leave me wanting to find more.
November 22, 2021, 6:37 AM · I almost bought a Pajeot made of amourette back in the early 90s.Very nice looking but way too stiff.It felt " glassy" and wouldn" t sink into the string.
I also looked at a Dominique Peccatte made of beeswood.It looked gorgeous but much too soft and unfocused.
November 24, 2021, 8:26 AM · To my understanding, the mid 19th century French bow makers did not use alternative woods because of any positive characteristic other than that they were cheap. Although we think of them as premium makers nowadays, during their lifetimes bow making was not a prestige industry and in order to make ends meet even the Peccatte brothers churned out large amounts of cheap bows using cheaper woods, with open trench frogs (no ferrules etc). I've only tried a few non-pernambuco French bows from the 19th century none impressed me, although some played "ok."

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Shopping Guide
Violinist.com Shopping Guide

Metzler Violin Shop

Bein & Company

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Los Angeles Violin Shop

String Masters

Bobelock Cases

Things 4 Strings LLC

Violin-Strings.com

Viola-Strings.com

Baerenreiter

Fiddlerman.com

FiddlerShop

Sleepy Puppy Press

Jargar Strings

J.R. Judd Violins, LLC

Southwest Strings

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe