Some people go to extremes to get the violin they want !

November 10, 2021, 8:39 PM · I have never heard of anybody being murdered over violins before.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/nov/10/stradivarius-violin-germans-killing-paraguay

Replies (15)

November 10, 2021, 9:42 PM · Imagine their dismay when the find the Stradivaris were made in Germany
November 10, 2021, 11:33 PM · Well, that's awful.
November 10, 2021, 11:53 PM · I think people should know before they follow the link that a truly disturbing and violent crime involving a child took place.
November 11, 2021, 1:15 AM · I saw the article in my news feed earlier. Never a dull moment in the fiddle business! It’s awful that things like this happen, especially when there’s murder of a child and torture.
Edited: November 11, 2021, 2:37 AM · If you read a few of the many reports you may catch some hints that the four (!) "Stradivari" are pure speculation.
November 11, 2021, 3:25 PM · Really don’t want to read about torture or the murder of a child on v dot com, thanks.
Edited: November 11, 2021, 5:40 PM · Yes it's awful that anyone would be killed, especially a child. That's why it's so sad that in the United States, a child dies, on average, every few hours just from gun violence. You just never hear about them. Hmm ... I wonder why.
November 11, 2021, 9:12 PM · The most probable story here:

1. Victim goes on trip, leaves German "Strad" copies with acquaintance.

2. Acquaintance (criminal) looks at labels on violins and ignorantly assumes they're real Strads. Googles how to sell them and discovers they need documentation.

3. Criminal murders victim in the process of trying to get nonexistent certs from him.

November 15, 2021, 12:45 PM · Anybody remember when there was a Chinese luthier's whose wife destroyed a room full of strad's he was repairing when she got mad at him. I thought that was bad. I guess the moral is if you are a luthier anywhere in the third world, don't touch an instrument that is worth more than your life. Unless you have private 24-hour security around your place and your person.
Edited: November 15, 2021, 2:52 PM · "I guess the moral is if you are a luthier anywhere in the third world"

Your example happened in Japan...

Here

But yes, I concur. Third world countries lend themselves well to property destruction.

Edited: November 15, 2021, 2:06 PM · Mike - I guess I'm missing something: Japan a third-world country?
Edited: November 15, 2021, 4:29 PM · I am saying that Japan isn’t.

I am not saying that Japan is a third world country; I am saying that because Japan is a FIRST WORLD country, the wife's destruction of property is not the best example of the dangers of storing valuable instruments in the third world (Gene said: "I guess the moral is if you are a luthier anywhere in the third world, don't touch an instrument that is worth more than your life").

I included the last bit (Mike said: "But yes, I concur. Third world countries lend themselves well to property destruction.") to clarify that I agree with what Gene is saying: third world countries are unfit for the storage of valuable instruments.

The word but is used to introduce a contrasting phrase. In my previous post, I used the word but to signal a shift of topic from how the incident occurred in Japan (first world) to how I agree that the third world is dangerous for instruments; this should not have implied that Japan is a third world country.

November 15, 2021, 3:49 PM · I see, thanks for the clarification :)
Edited: November 15, 2021, 3:51 PM · ( ????? ??)

Edit: I tried to create a magnum opus text emoticon, but I forgot that v.com doesn't post the characters that I used.

November 18, 2021, 11:19 AM · A very sad thing........pure greed leads folk to do terrible things
Maybe they should try to improve themselves ,instead of taking someone elses lives.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Shopping Guide
Violinist.com Shopping Guide

Metzler Violin Shop

Bein & Company

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Los Angeles Violin Shop

String Masters

Bobelock Cases

Things 4 Strings LLC

Violin-Strings.com

Viola-Strings.com

Baerenreiter

Fiddlerman.com

FiddlerShop

Sleepy Puppy Press

Jargar Strings

J.R. Judd Violins, LLC

Southwest Strings

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe