Violin wolf note

November 10, 2021, 5:19 AM · Hi I have a violin that plays really well on the A and E string but problem is it has wolf notes on second A on g string A on the d string and open a string i had new sound post put in new strings new bridge still the same the violin is German around 1920s

Replies (16)

November 10, 2021, 5:45 AM · If your violin does not sound right on the open A-string (!) it needs to be checked at a competent violin shop. (Apparently *not* the one you went to to have a new sound post installed!)
November 10, 2021, 7:16 AM · It could be an adjustment issue, but a wolf like that can also be the result of a top being thinned out too much. If it’s too thin, changing the setup isn’t going to fix it. Hopefully it’s just a setup issue!
Edited: November 10, 2021, 9:11 AM · It's the "classic" wolf, on or near the principal body resonance.
A quick'n'dirty fix can be a blob of blue-tack somewhere on the bottom left quarter of the belly, not far from the chinrest. There are more sophisticated devices for providing a more dynamic inertia in the same zone.
November 10, 2021, 9:12 AM · I think my top was too thinned (regraduated). A bit of rubber (erazer) in one of the F hole wings solved it. I was also advised to try small super magnets
November 10, 2021, 12:03 PM · Magnets are used in the line of sound (wolf) modulators made by Krentz; I have one on my cello and it works beautifully...they also make magnet modulators for violins.
November 11, 2021, 10:22 AM · The Krentz devices will be "tuned" to typical wolf frequencies: around A# or B for violins, F or F# for violas, and F or F# (an octave lower) on cellos.
They will absorb the excessive vibrations, whereas my mastic blobs will only shift them (hopefully out of harm's way).
Edited: November 11, 2021, 12:05 PM · If the diagnosis is correct that the top is too thin, then it sounds like a bit of a write-off, and the blutak/eraser is probably a better idea than magnetic devices.
November 11, 2021, 11:36 AM · My violin with erazer works very well thank you.
November 11, 2021, 12:30 PM · But wrote:
"My violin with erazer works very well thank you."

And I spilled Spot remover on my dog, and he disappeared. :-)

November 11, 2021, 1:54 PM · Update when take off chinrest and play with out with my chin on tailpiece a bit the wolf notes are gone
November 12, 2021, 8:58 AM · Just curious, but was it a centre or side mounted chinrest?

I think wolf tones can be a conflict between two (or more) vibration patterns on the same note: shifting one of them a little can solve the issue.

Pressing the chin on the tailpiece will increase pressure on the bridge, similar to using a high tension string: this seems to accentuate wolf tones at the expense of overtones.

November 12, 2021, 10:06 AM · It may be that there is a crack near where you affix the chinrest? Again, a good violin repairer should check this, we can't really help you.
November 12, 2021, 11:49 AM · It may be worth trying a lower tension G, such as Eudoxa) to reduce some of the pressure on the top plate and thereby remove or substantially reduce the wolf. This works on my 18th c violin, weighing 385gm, suggesting that it has a thinnish top plate. This violin has long suffered a prominent wolf on the A in the second octave of the G-string, with a suggestion of a corresponding wolf on the A on the D-string. Installing the Eudoxa G significantly reduced the wolf, and replacing the D and A strings with Eudoxas completed the job to my satisfaction, enabling me to play wolf-free in the second octave on the G string in orchestra, if so required by some possibly unthinking composer.

If you don't wish to use covered gut (e.g. Eudoxas or the Chorda G) then possibly a synthetic core string with similar tension to the Eudoxa may work. I have in mind Warchal's "Brilliant Vintage" set, which has suitably low tension, but I must say that I have yet to try it. I have used Warchal "Ambers" on a modern violin I once had, and they are great to play on. A wolf on that modern violin was never an issue because it didn't have one.

November 12, 2021, 2:46 PM · hi Trevor, the Wiener Philharmoniker plays a lot sul G, easily including that A, no unthinking composer needed :-)
November 12, 2021, 9:14 PM · You could also try a different E string or even e string gauge. I’ve had success with heavy gauge E strings when it comes to taming wolf notes.

Some violins like different brands of E strings more than others.

November 14, 2021, 9:54 AM · Christian, that's interesting, and the opposite of what I mentioned!

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Shopping Guide
Violinist.com Shopping Guide

Metzler Violin Shop

Bein & Company

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Los Angeles Violin Shop

String Masters

Bobelock Cases

Things 4 Strings LLC

Violin-Strings.com

Viola-Strings.com

Baerenreiter

Fiddlerman.com

FiddlerShop

Sleepy Puppy Press

Jargar Strings

J.R. Judd Violins, LLC

Southwest Strings

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe