Is this dark?

November 8, 2021, 5:23 AM · I was just playing a melody that had been haunting me for some time, and it struck me that my violin sounded a bit like...well, a viola?

I don't know whether it's my imagination, but I think my violin has a darker and more throaty tone than most.

Here is a recording I'd like for you to listen to and tell me whether I'm imagining things or not:

https://voca.ro/1jDsbT4nN8hV

PS:
I humbly ask that you pardon my transgressions (poor intonation and whatnot): I am but an amateur.

Replies (8)

Edited: November 8, 2021, 7:14 AM · My violin teacher's violin (at least, the one he teaches with) has a tone like this. Kind of viola-like. I like it.
November 8, 2021, 9:22 AM · I think it may be hard to tell on this kind of recording but I also really love violins with more of a viola like sound. The person who sits behind me in orchestra has a voilin with a viola like deep resonant tone and I am envious. I have no idea the reasons or technical terms which i'm sure many in this group will be more helpful with.
November 8, 2021, 11:24 AM · I think you may be too close to the microphone? I can hear the dark sound but its difficult to really assess because of the scratches. Put the recorder at least 2 yds away.

And it sounds nice :)

November 8, 2021, 2:07 PM · Sounds like a pretty normal violin, to me.
But no one can even start to know the sound of a violin from a recording, unless they know the complete recording and playback paths, including every piece of equipment involved, the settings of the equipment, the inherent equipment biases, and where the microphones and the player were placed in the room.
November 9, 2021, 6:07 AM · I used my phone's microphone to record the sound.

You're right about me being too close to the microphone, Elise. I kept it right next to me.

I'm sorry, but I'm not really familiar with yards, so I just increased the distance to something like 2 metres and did another recording.

It sounds a lot clearer now.

https://voca.ro/1i5FL2PEvyTX

PS: Thanks for the compliment. You have no idea how much it means for an amateur to hear that his playing sounds 'nice'. :)

November 9, 2021, 9:18 AM · "Thanks for the compliment. You have no idea how much it means for an amateur to hear that his playing sounds 'nice'."

Oh YES I do! LOL

November 9, 2021, 4:51 PM · Sounds pretty normal, but you really need to play with more weight in the bow (or "pressure" depending on your perceptions). I think a lot of the throatiness comes from not fully engaging the string with each stroke and maintaining that pressure through the entirety of the stroke.
November 9, 2021, 9:44 PM · 'Sounds pretty normal, but you really need to play with more weight in the bow (or "pressure" depending on your perceptions).'

Now that you mention it, Erik, I actually don't apply much pressure on my bow, unless I want to be particularly loud.

'I think a lot of the throatiness comes from not fully engaging the string with each stroke and maintaining that pressure through the entirety of the stroke.'

Ah...I see.

I'm definitely going to try using more bow pressure and maintaining it. In fact, I think I'll do some other experiments while I'm at it.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Shopping Guide
Violinist.com Shopping Guide

Metzler Violin Shop

Bein & Company

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Los Angeles Violin Shop

String Masters

Bobelock Cases

Things 4 Strings LLC

Violin-Strings.com

Viola-Strings.com

Baerenreiter

Fiddlerman.com

FiddlerShop

Sleepy Puppy Press

Jargar Strings

J.R. Judd Violins, LLC

Southwest Strings

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe